Help with Hudra 26hd

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post I need some help programming my hydra 26 hd. I have 2 over a 90 gallon tank. My tank is pretty much all LPS with some softies and one monipora. All my parameters are okay I am just trying to figure out where to start out with my settings. Lights have been on the tank about 2 months and It seems the Zoa's and a few torches don't extend all the way.

Parameters are:

Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Temp steady 79
Nitrite 0
Magnesium 1300

Just need a starting point to work my way up from. Settings are currently set with 8 hour photoperiod, 2.5 hour ramp time

Uv 40
Violet 70
Blue 70
Royal blue 70
Red 5
Green 5
Whites 10

Thanks in advance

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's the lighting, there are so many things to check for in a tank, but if it were isolated to lights, I'd get the white up more, say to about 40%. I have three 26's over a 135 but also have halides to get the spectrum in line. It's tough with LED's to make sure you have the spectrum dialed in. Let's bring in the forum expert on lighting. @saltyfilmfolks can certainly add some wisdom here.
I would also add that some LPS like having more than zero phosphates, zoas included in the group. If you are running GFO or another PO4 reducer, try taking it offline for 24 hours, or conversely, dose some SeaChem Phosphorus and the next day measure PO4 to see what your tank uptake is. Good way to rule out nutrient insufficiency.

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. As of now the only thing I am running on the tank is a reef octo skimmer running very dry right now along with a refugium. I have been trying to get the whites up but it seems like Any higher than 10-15% everything is unhappy.
The hydra 26hd are capable of penetrating to the sand bed in a 90g correct? (Mounted 12" above surface). By the way forgot to mention calcium is at 450

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my schedule for my 50g Cube:
graph.JPG

I tried to emulate the Radeon AB+ schedule. It's 7 hours at 100% for UV, Violet, Royal, Blue. 24% for Green and Red, 36% for Cool White.

fts.jpg

I'm happy with these settings, I'm getting Coraline growth all over the place in addition to corals responding about how I would expect them to under a MH or T5 setup.

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Alright I guess I'm going to have to start boosting my whites up slowly along with other channels. How many lights do you run above your cube?

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like the cover. Do you think this is good to start off with or can I bump them even higher?

IMG_4210.PNG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @nervousmonkey stated.

Your phos. is too low and feed them something like RS "Reef Energy".

I have friends that run the Hydra's and most of them stick with the Blues, UV and White channels to get that deep ocean blue look.

@jsker
If you don't mind...
What Hydra settings would you recommend OP on his 90 gallon tank to help his corals open up?

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I feed the tank lots of phytoplankton. I will look into reef energy when I head to the LFS. The phosphate reading of 0 is coming from an API test kit since it's the only one I have. Would that have anything to do with the low reading?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is not as off as some think, although it's certainly not zero. There are plenty of organisms like algae that uptake it quickly, so it doesn't look like there is any but there is enough. salifert would be a better test, but a hanna checker would be best if you can afford one. right now don't worry about it, just get the PO4 into 0.03 to 0.1 range...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @nervousmonkey stated.

Your phos. is too low and feed them something like RS "Reef Energy".

I have friends that run the Hydra's and most of them stick with the Blues, UV and White channels to get that deep ocean blue look.

@jsker
If you don't mind...
What Hydra settings would you recommend OP on his 90 gallon tank to help his corals open up?

Thanks, Freddie
Not at all Freddie
Settings as of 3-31-17.PNG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be carful with the whites, I was running them a little to high at 40% at the max, then back them off to 35% and now 30% for the high.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post I need some help programming my hydra 26 hd. I have 2 over a 90 gallon tank. My tank is pretty much all LPS with some softies and one monipora. All my parameters are okay I am just trying to figure out where to start out with my settings. Lights have been on the tank about 2 months and It seems the Zoa's and a few torches don't extend all the way.

Parameters are:

Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Temp steady 79
Nitrite 0
Magnesium 1300

Just need a starting point to work my way up from. Settings are currently set with 8 hour photoperiod, 2.5 hour ramp time

Uv 40
Violet 70
Blue 70
Royal blue 70
Red 5
Green 5
Whites 10

Thanks in advance
Questions
What are your dimensions of your tank?
What is your Ca?
I agree with @nervousmonkey and @GoVols on the Po4's

here is a link to my settings

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker it's a standard 90 gallon. My calcium is at 450 stable. My API test goes from 0- next step being .25 I guess I am going to have to pick up a low range phosphate checker.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker it's a standard 90 gallon. My calcium is at 450 stable. My API test goes from 0- next step being .25 I guess I am going to have to pick up a low range phosphate checker.
Went and looked up a standard 90 two light are good. I have the 72 that is 21 deep and the light gets down to the bottom. My light are 12 inch off the water.
You Ca is fine, feed a little bit more to feed the corals;)

OP
OP
E

eddie beikian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I will give that a shot along with trying to raise PO4 a bit. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you guys know when I start to see a turn around

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the one Hydra 26HD, two sounds perfect for a 90g. I have mine mounted with the AI arm and have a plastic cover I printed to block excess light.

1.jpg

Love the cover! Could you talk a bit more about it? How it was made, etc? I've wanted to do something similar for my Kessil AP700, but have no idea how to approach it.

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cover! Could you talk a bit more about it? How it was made, etc? I've wanted to do something similar for my Kessil AP700, but have no idea how to approach it.
yeah, Im looking for something similar too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back