Help with ID, something growing out of sand !

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is but it’s green slimy and has like tan strings on it and moving with the water flow .

44739BC2-6373-41AB-88EC-52E6CB7173A0.jpeg

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's either a Terebellid or Cirratulid worm, both of which are harmless and beneficial to your substrate.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green looks like a type of algae. Do you feed nori? And the white strings aroud it look like a speghetti worm is holding the algae.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green looks like a type of algae. Do you feed nori? And the white strings aroud it look like a speghetti worm is holding the algae.
I don’t feed nori. Spaghetti worm is the worm the member above mentioned too.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed nori. Spaghetti worm is the worm the member above mentioned too.
Lol. I am not good with scientific names. I'm glad there are those who are, for sure. Sometimes you just can't get a hit on stringy worm thing...lol.

Well, if in doubt, take it out! I would try to grab it with tweezers or a net and pull it out to put in a white tub or dish to get better pictures. You may find it is indeed 2 seperate things, or one thing that is just difficult to identify. But either way better photos help the pros! (I am not a pro).

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I am not good with scientific names. I'm glad there are those who are, for sure. Sometimes you just can't get a hit on stringy worm thing...lol.

Well, if in doubt, take it out! I would try to grab it with tweezers or a net and pull it out to put in a white tub or dish to get better pictures. You may find it is indeed 2 seperate things, or one thing that is just difficult to identify. But either way better photos help the pros! (I am not a pro).
Lol I’ll do my best to get it out tomorrow .

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like a spaghetti worm to me. A lot of folks buy them. They are great additions to your cleanup crew. Wouldn't fish it out. If you need to make sure it is a spaghetti worm just dig your hand under it in the sand and pull it out for inspection. Google what a spaghetti worm looks like -it will be pretty obvious if it is. Will have larger body with tons of little arms. Consider it a score if that's what you have, and don't feel like you need to remove them. They will only help clean up detritus in your system and help stir up your sand bed. Super helpful little critters.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back