Help with ID

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a local trade set up for a few zoo frags for frags of these 2 sps...would appreciate help with an id if possible...Thanks

013.jpg

012.jpg

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First looks like the oregon tort, more green , but still purple. I agree cali tort on the second

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austera has thicker more straight branches, almost stag looking, but not quite.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the oregon tort is blue, not purple, and according to veron austera: Main branches often curve away from each other and typically taper.
i have a few austera and that is how they grow, and branch thickness can vary with flow ime.

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top one looks like the oregon tort, the bottom one looks like the cali tort, I've seen the oregon under 20k's look identical to that top pic, under yellower lighting it tends to get a lot more purple and less green

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't you think if it were the oregon tort the source would be aware of that?

and a quote from maximus, whom i got my frag of the orgeon tort from regarding cali tort vs oregon tort:
"They are not the same. I agree, the Oregon tort is most likely not even a tort. The distinguishing factor between a Cali and an Oregon tort is the non-presence of green. The Cali tort will have some shade of green in the corallites. The Oregon tort has no green."

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oregon tort has green, its under 20K xm on mag ballast. Its more blue than the cali as the cali is darker purple rather than blue. I think the green is just a product of light

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had mine under the same lighting, and no green to be seen.
perhaps you should move it up into more light.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy...what did I start here?!?!?! Let me drop the guy a line and see what he was told they were. he just sent me a bunch of pics of things he could frag...I didn't even bother to ask what they were yet!

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? My tank is only 10" deep, with a 400W 20K xm in a luminarc 3 about 12" over the tank. Anymore light and it will get crispy!

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my oregon tort had green too before I lost it when my tank crashed, and I've seen many oregons with green highlights under the branches, I think it's just a product of lower light.

I don't understand the icey breeze in here...

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've NEVER seen a true oregon tort with green in it. all the ones i've seen are completely bright blue (no purple or green). this goes for 20k or 10k lighting.

stix, you should post up that question on RC. you would prob get many more responses. it would also be interesting to watch the debate. ;)

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never claimed they were. The only thing I know for sure is that I dont know crap! I can only recant my own experiance. I expect any claim I make to be taken with a grain of salt (ha ha) as my fish tank is not my life. I have encountered my poeple on RC who claim to know everything and everything they say is true because they said it. Dont want to start this again...

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the thing to remember is that anecdotal evidence isn't actual evidence... Simply because some people have seen a true oregon tort as blue all the time doesn't mean that it's blue all the time, and simply because some people have seen a true oregon tort with green doesn't mean they're green all the time, but to say that simply because, anecdotally, you've never seen a true oregon tort with green doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it just means that you've personally never seen it.
Just my 2 cents

Also, to ease up on all of the frostiness that's starting up in this thread, how about we do this, everyone send me frags of your true oregon torts and I'll get right on it :D

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have encountered my poeple on RC who claim to know everything and everything they say is true because they said it. Dont want to start this again...

ahhhhh, so...so...so...true. :roll:

but at the same time, you can ignore those people, and hope that the ones who truely do know what they are talking about will chime in. sadly, the only way to tell which people are the *experts* is to know them, or have known their posting history.

I think the thing to remember is that anecdotal evidence isn't actual evidence... Simply because some people have seen a true oregon tort as blue all the time doesn't mean that it's blue all the time, and simply because some people have seen a true oregon tort with green doesn't mean they're green all the time, but to say that simply because, anecdotally, you've never seen a true oregon tort with green doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it just means that you've personally never seen it.

good point....but, no one has mentioned the fact that "how do you know you have the true oregon tort?".

we know many sps to be fakes (i.e. wild superman fakes, purple monster fakes etc.). how do you really know that you were sold a true oregon tort other than thats what the seller advertised it as? (lineage is the only true way IMO)...but everyone has their opinion on that obvbiously.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back