Help With identifying

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me ID this I think it's some sort of sponge. My problem is that it seems to be invasive and is overcrowding some of my zoas. As you can see it's causing my gatorade zoas and another colony to close up and not grow any help would be great and possible solution to remove this.
20231003_131758.jpg

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure you have a sponge going there. If any others are looking at this look really close at the photo. I had to look a few times. How's your flow in the tank and how much do you feed. Ive seen this type of growth when the rocks get overidden with detritus.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quotes below may or may not help with removal - generally speaking, as long as conditions are good for them, an invasive sponge may come back.
The best way I've heard to control sponge growth at this point is to use a steel straw to scrape and siphon out the sponge you want to remove. Sometimes you can create bad conditions for them and kill them off that way, but that's typically much harder and not always effective.

Some other sponge removal methods:
Generally speaking, the easiest way to remove sponges is to scrape them off (the best recommendation I've seen for this is to scrape it off and suction it out).

Other suggestions include exposing the sponge to air (obviously not a guaranteed solution, and definitely not viable for this situation); hydrogen peroxide dipping the sponge (again, not viable here); injecting the sponge with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, boiling water, or air; microbubbles in the display; and a few more. Predation is not usually a good solution for this issue, and I explain why below:

OP
OP
J

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure you have a sponge going there. If any others are looking at this look really close at the photo. I had to look a few times. How's your flow in the tank and how much do you feed. Ive seen this type of growth when the rocks get overidden with detritus.
Well I only feed twice a day frozen reef prime and then I feed pellets. I have 2 maxspect gyre xf330s in the tank and a Hydor korilla pump in the back side to prevent a dead spots the tank is 50 gallon breeder tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back