Help with Kalk Stirrer

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched from 2 part to Kalkwasser. I have a 3L stirrer going that is hooked up to a doser dosing RODI through the stirrer. It drips in to my sump every time RODI is added to the stirrer. The problem I am having is that it has had zero effect on my Alkalinity and pH. My Alk continues to drop and my pH is still low. When I check on the stirrer it successfully stirred everything for the first 4 or 5 days. But now it seems to sit on the bottom in the consistency of mud or maybe something even thicker. Is this normal behavior of Kalk or is my rodi going in, passing right over the Kalk, and then going to my sump (ultimately functioning as a ATO instead)? It’s been a little over a week. I believe I should’ve seen something by now.

- It’s a 180 gallon system dosing about 1200 to 1500 mLs of Kalk water a day.
- stirrer turns on for 2 minutes every hour, followed by 13 minutes pause before dosing resumes.

77D19960-D940-4049-ABF1-BDE7080EF1F1.jpeg

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently setup a Kalk reactor on my tank. I can say that on my smaller tank it's keeping my alk pretty stable dripping only at night at about 15ml a minute. It does have a small effect on the PH of about a 0.01-0.03 swing at night and would max out around 8.05. What has done the most for my PH is adding a C02 scrubber. My PH is now peaking at about 8.42 and a low of 8.33.

The MUD you are talking about happened to me as well but it was because I had not stirred in a couple days because I accidentally shut the stir off on my Hydros controller. The mud actually knocked the magnetic stirrer bar off center and I had to go in and place it back in the center. Now that I'm mixing regularly it has not turned to mud/paste. I know that's not a huge help becuase you are stirring every hour. I do stir for 5 minutes at a time not 2 though, maybe that could help?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back