Help with leather coral

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. This is my first post.
I bought a Toadstool coral a couple of days ago. From what ive read they wax up when they are new to the tank and start the shedding process, i also read when this happens you can use a turkey baster etc to help it with this process. While doing this, layers of skin started coming off, i didn't blast it hard at all. is this normal as i dont want to crash my tank with all my other corals. Many thanks.
20191214_224326.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that it is toast I'm afraid, it is crumbling.
You could try fragging off / removing that good section back right and giving it an iodine dip.
Do you run carbon, renew it?
I would remove it before it does any more damage.

OP
OP
redeyejedi

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that it is toast I'm afraid, it is crumbling.
You could try fragging off / removing that good section back right and giving it an iodine dip.
Do you run carbon, renew it?
I would remove it before it does any more damage.
Ok thanks for your advice, i was thinking of fragging the section that is ok. Yes i run carbon and it was replaced a few days ago.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your advice, i was thinking of fragging the section that is ok. Yes i run carbon and it was replaced a few days ago.

I had an incident that caused about 10 leathers to shed, I changed the carbon every 4 days, still lost nearly all my acros.

OP
OP
redeyejedi

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an incident that caused about 10 leathers to shed, I changed the carbon every 4 days, still lost nearly all my acros.
Oh thats not good.... well this happened yesterday so i hope no damage is done to the tank. I only have soft corals and lps so ill keep a eye on them. Thanks again.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that leather is very, very ill if not outright dead. My question is, what made it do that. It's not normal, especially that fast. Toadstools are generally tough cookies. I had one wrap around a heater and cook itself and it STILL survived after losing everything but two edges. Now it's two toadstools on one stalk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back