Help with lighting. Radion gen 5 XR 30 blue

  • Thread starter Thread starter ID-Reefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ID-Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2020
Messages
456
Reaction score
602
Location
Boise
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been out of the hobby for a while. Last time I had a system I ran VHO fluorescents with no real controls like today.

I recently set up a reefer 900 and am running the XR30 gen 5 lights. I’ve played around with mobius but really have no idea what I’m doing. The system is new with a few fish and just a couple softies and small frag of zoas.

is there a good tutorial or an easy way to learn to manage this? It’s amazing to have this amount of control but overwhelming at the same time. Currently I have them on a fairly low intensity setting (I think). How does one learn what to set things at? Do I need a par meter to do it right or can I just run a template?

Im sure this is simple for some but seems like rocket surgery to me.
A98E247B-E219-4F07-B5A2-D634EEA0A249.png
 
Do you know what the end goal is going to be for the tank? Are you going to keep SPS, LPS at all?
The templates that are offered to you (AB+, Radiant) are really good presets but the most important thing is getting the right amount of light for your corals. If you can rent a par meter, that would be your best bet as you will know what and were you can place corals in the future, and also not run the chance of bleaching or blasting corals with too much light.

There are a couple of vid's on YouTube that show how to manipulate Mobius. At fist it looks complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

BTW... Welcome back to the hobby
 
Do you know what the end goal is going to be for the tank? Are you going to keep SPS, LPS at all?
The templates that are offered to you (AB+, Radiant) are really good presets but the most important thing is getting the right amount of light for your corals. If you can rent a par meter, that would be your best bet as you will know what and were you can place corals in the future, and also not run the chance of bleaching or blasting corals with too much light.

There are a couple of vid's on YouTube that show how to manipulate Mobius. At fist it looks complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

BTW... Welcome back to the hobby
Yes both SPS and LPS. Have frags of both in the tank now and seem to be doing well.

I was hoping to borrow a par meter but the LFS that I frequent don't have one to loan out so Id have to buy one. At the moment Im just watching the coral close to hopefully avoid burning anything.
 
You can rent a PAR meter from BRS if you don’t want to buy one and can’t find one to rent locally.
 
another option for a par meter is to see if any local reef clubs have one to rent. Join the club and rent the meter, and this option will be 2 fold as you will have access to a par meter, and also be able to geek out with other fellow reefers in your area.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new