Help with "live" rock.

Jpatten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first saltwater tank and the person I got it off of gave me all of their live rock and equipment with it. The rock had been sitting in an empty 5 gallon bucket in their garage for a month or so and smells pretty bad. Its almost 30 pounds of rock covered in coralline algae and I dont want to just get rid of it and buy new rock but I dont really have any means to cure it other than in my tank. Would this be bad for the tank and do you think it would smell once its underwater?
Thanks in advance

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, a belated welcome to R2R.
Unfortunately, your live rock is no longer live. I can tell you what I would do to be able to use the rock, but it will take a considerable amount of time. If you are looking to add rock to the tank soon, you may consider new live rock, dry rock, or one of the man made options. If you are willing to invest the time and effort, there are things you can do to resurrect the rock you have. Just say the word.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically have dry rock now. With the potential for bad hitch hikers that have somehow survived. If you want live rock, buy new. If you don’t mind the free ammonia to start off a cycle with dry rocks, use what you have.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it. Put it in a garden tote tub, fill with salt mix, it can even be a bit weak to save salt. Add a pump to keep water moving, heater to get it in the 70s. Let biology do its thing. But keep it covered - no light. Prevents algae growth and evaporation. After a week, take out all the rock and scrub off anything loose. Blast it with a garden hose nozzle. Throw out all the old water and start over with clean new mix. Do weekly water changes until the water doesn't get gross anymore. Test for nitrate & phosphate when you think it is staying clean. If too high, do more weekly water changes. This is starting to sound like months - and that's fine. You'll have live rock with no pests and a nice 'aged' look to it. Put that in the tank when you set it up and you're already cycled.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it. Put it in a garden tote tub, fill with salt mix, it can even be a bit weak to save salt. Add a pump to keep water moving, heater to get it in the 70s. Let biology do its thing. But keep it covered - no light. Prevents algae growth and evaporation. After a week, take out all the rock and scrub off anything loose. Blast it with a garden hose nozzle. Throw out all the old water and start over with clean new mix. Do weekly water changes until the water doesn't get gross anymore. Test for nitrate & phosphate when you think it is staying clean. If too high, do more weekly water changes. This is starting to sound like months - and that's fine. You'll have live rock with no pests and a nice 'aged' look to it. Put that in the tank when you set it up and you're already cycled.
This is the way to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back