Help with live sale corals please!

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that the live sales are over I just want to make sure I didn’t bite off more than I can chew I just wanted to make sure all the coral I chose are beginner friendly. Please give me some tips on them also if possible Thankyou!
1 Platygyra
1 War coral
1 Astreapora
1 Xenia
1 Zoanthid
1 Favites

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently added a new live rock and my tank got more clear than it already was, which is great!!!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks is really early to sustain corals. Most people wait 4 months minimum. Basic rule of thumb is that you should at least have coraline algae growing on your rocks before corals will be able to do well. Just because your tank cycled doesn’t mean it’s done with all its going to go through with bacteria and other stuff it needs. The first cycle really is just about handling ammonia. Tanks generally need a lot more time to mature.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks? Well, to say your tank is "young" would be an understatement. Most people recommend a tank that is at least a couple months old before adding corals. Since you have already purchased them, All you can really do is add them to the tank. Honestly, as long as you aren't still having nutrient spikes, I believe you will be ok.

Since the question will be asked later if I don't ask it now.. what are your system parameters? Tank size, water parameters, ect ect?

I can tell you from firsthand experience, that it is completely possible to set up a tank today and add fish to it tomorrow. I have personally done it several times. Live sand, dry rock, and fish as soon as the water clears up enough to allow the fish to breathe.

Do a bit of research on the corals you bought, focus on placement and flow. They should be fine as long as you do your homework.

Edit: I would get some fish in there asap. Start with a couple clowns. They are very hardy and can take the nutrient jumps better than most others.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my fish the same day and the two cars that I currently have and they’re all doing fine
3 weeks? Well, to say your tank is "young" would be an understatement. Most people recommend a tank that is at least a couple months old before adding corals. Since you have already purchased them, All you can really do is add them to the tank. Honestly, as long as you aren't still having nutrient spikes, I believe you will be ok.

Since the question will be asked later if I don't ask it now.. what are your system parameters? Tank size, water parameters, ect ect?

I can tell you from firsthand experience, that it is completely possible to set up a tank today and add fish to it tomorrow. I have personally done it several times. Live sand, dry rock, and fish as soon as the water clears up enough to allow the fish to breathe.

Do a bit of research on the corals you bought, focus on placement and flow. They should be fine as long as you do your homework.
I added my fish the same day and the two cars that I currently have and they’re all doing fine

Edit: I would get some fish in there asap. Start with a couple clowns. They are very hardy and can take the nutrient jumps better than most others.
I’ve had my two clowns in there since I started the tank also I have a goniopora in there and a clove polyp both of those have also been in there since I started the tank and they’re doing pretty good

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astreapora is a SPS so it’s not necessarily a beginner coral. It’ll likely be more sensitive to changes in water parameters than the others will be. They also don’t do as well will higher nitrates and phosphates whereas some of the LPS and most definitely the Softies can benefit from elevated levels (within reason).

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had my two clowns in there since I started the tank also I have a goniopora in there and a clove polyp both of those have also been in there since I started the tank and they’re doing pretty good
Clove polyps are very hardy but watch the Goni closely. They’re more likely to show signs of stress IME.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back