Help with My Corals

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that's what the problem was. What was your salinity? I would also consider getting a temperature controller like the inkbird, it'll keep your temperature consistent and will also prevent your heater from malfunctioning.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that's what the problem was. What was your salinity? I would also consider getting a temperature controller like the inkbird, it'll keep your temperature consistent and will also prevent your heater from malfunctioning.
The refractometer read 1.030 and the temp was 75 degrees :O

I'm just gonna get an adjustable water heater. I really don't feel like buying all of this fancy equipment and draining my wallet, and I have a thermometer to tell me what the temperature is.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refractometer read 1.030 and the temp was 75 degrees :O

I'm just gonna get an adjustable water heater. I really don't feel like buying all of this fancy equipment and draining my wallet, and I have a thermometer to tell me what the temperature is.
Yeah I think lowering your salinity will definitely help.
About the temperature controller, while you don't need it, I definitely think it is a necessity. You can read online about lots of horror stories of people's heaters malfunctioning and killing all of their livestock which is arguably more expensive than the controller. I've had my share of heaters malfunctiong, only to be stopped by my apex temperature controller. Plus inkbird temp controllers are fairly inexpensive, you can probably get an inkbird for $30 on amazon. Of course if you don't want one, you don't need one.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think lowering your salinity will definitely help.
About the temperature controller, while you don't need it, I definitely think it is a necessity. You can read online about lots of horror stories of people's heaters malfunctioning and killing all of their livestock which is arguably more expensive than the controller. I've had my share of heaters malfunctiong, only to be stopped by my apex temperature controller. Plus inkbird temp controllers are fairly inexpensive, you can probably get an inkbird for $30 on amazon. Of course if you don't want one, you don't need one.
Thing is, I just got close to $200 worth of the hanna and salifert test kits and I don't feel like spending more money on something that doesn't scream "You need this!"

And there is this culture in the reef hobby, a hobby that's already fundamentally expensive, that's like "Oh you should get this $100 proteim skimmer" and "$300 Ozone definitely helps if you have a big tank" and "definitely buy a refugium sump system for $250" "definitely buy a qt tank setup" and "you definitely need to buy all of these fish medications for $20 a pop just in case"

Maybe I'll look into it, and I've certainly had my own share of past tank crashes. It just feels like more money to burn for something that MIGHT be necessary, money that could otherwise be spent on coral/fish/inverts ie the whole reason why we get into this hobby in the first place.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back