Help with my fancy Urchin

PastorJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fancy urchin that likes to pick up shells and rubble and place them on what would be his head and carry them around. I read this is a camouflage instinct. But if any one can help me, is with it going around and knocking off my acros and other corals and carrying them around don’t know how to stop him or can I stop him or her? Thanks in advance.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fancy urchin that likes to pick up shells and rubble and place them on what would be his head and carry them around. I read this is a camouflage instinct. But if any one can help me, is with it going around and knocking off my acros and other corals and carrying them around don’t know how to stop him or can I stop him or her? Thanks in advance.
Can't stop won't stop. I just put in some sacrificial zoas. They are still clumsy no matter what.

image0.jpg

Last edited:

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or dear, I was planning on an urchin...but reading all these threads...seconds thoughts??

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or dear, I was planning on an urchin...but reading all these threads...seconds thoughts??
The Urchins are good cleaners, most of the time (eating algae, detritus, leftover food etc.), but everyone have to have on mind that, they (most) will pick and eat the Coraline algae, can destroy your rockwork if isn't stable enough, can damage some of your sofites, LPS and SPS as well, often pickup something and move it around (for camouflage, will graze your macro algae if you have in the same tank and....
Isn't them fault, that's them behavior. Looking pretty good, almost everyone had urchin in his tank. But if the tank isn't big enough to keep them busy on the lower level, they will often go to the top of your rockwork and will pickup from whatever they can.
And yes they are reef safe, never will damage something on purpose.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called super glue. I have only had tuxedos and pincushions and a dab to glue will anchor things enough but you can break it off later.
it can be used, but you have to have on mind, that the urchin will be unable to move his spines, then it can stuck between some crevices or hols and/or can fall of from upper levels and to become damaged by the wave makers or to stuck on them. Most of the time will have it for short time that way and will pollute your water after it die from unable to move properly.
So, if you aren't ready for this "damages", save your money, the rockwork and the Urchin life. Unless you aren't planing corals, if there are only fish and if rock in, just secure it and that's it.

Regards

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back