Help with nem ID?

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I got this malu? nem a few months ago, it’s steadily grown since, but doesn’t display any malu like colours that I’ve seen my friends malus have.

It’s collected off Western Australia, has grown very quickly, readily hosts my nem crabs and devours mysis. Super sticky, tentacles maybe an inch long, oral plate has opened up to 5-6 inches or so?

Someone said it may be an LTA, others said a malu of some sort, but I’m hoping for a more specific ID. I’ve attached pics of the foot, verrucae, and oral disc. Let me know if you need anything more:)

IMG_1364.jpeg IMG_1365.jpeg IMG_1366.jpeg IMG_1497.jpeg IMG_1496.jpeg IMG_1495.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like an lta, the orange foot and prominent verracue are key identifiers. The tentacles and oral disk also look like an lta. It doesn’t look anything like a malu. I’m nearly 100% certain it’s an LTA (macrodactyla doreensis)

Here’s a pic of my malu, you can see it has a lot more tentacles. I’ve also never heard of a malu with an orange foot.
3186D27E-C7E4-4E3C-96C5-8A671CF57238.jpeg
E6B2168D-7139-40ED-8B7E-C809A15342E6.jpeg

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like an lta, the orange foot and prominent verracue are key identifiers. The tentacles and oral disk also look like an lta. It doesn’t look anything like a malu. I’m nearly 100% certain it’s an LTA (macrodactyla doreensis)

Here’s a pic of my malu, you can see it has a lot more tentacles. I’ve also never heard of a malu with an orange foot.
3186D27E-C7E4-4E3C-96C5-8A671CF57238.jpeg
E6B2168D-7139-40ED-8B7E-C809A15342E6.jpeg
Ah I see what you mean. Confuses me a little as I really thought it was a Malu. A shop near me stocks malus that look similar to mine, but still quite different. Is mine just a funky colour morph, or more likely to be an LTA?

For reference, the first pic is the “malu” when I bought it from the shops. Second pic is a malu being sold near me

Attachments

• IMG_1499.png
    IMG_1499.png
    515.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1499.png
    IMG_1499.png
    515.7 KB · Views: 36

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see what you mean. Confuses me a little as I really thought it was a Malu. A shop near me stocks malus that look similar to mine, but still quite different. Is mine just a funky colour morph, or more likely to be an LTA?

For reference, the first pic is the “malu” when I bought it from the shops. Second pic is a malu being sold near me
Those are h aurora

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are h aurora
I thought maybe h.aurora too, but it doesn’t typically have the orange foot, it also sits differently in the sand, it’s mouth is almost like buried deeper than the rest of it. The tentacles are too sparse as well. Also I don’t see the bead-line tentacles that are present in h.aurora. From what I can see in the pic, the tentacles are striped, but not ‘beaded.’
B21E3DF4-834D-4A58-9231-938451DE0008.jpeg

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah weird. Always thought mine was a malu, not an LTA. its in a 20g, will it outgrow it?
Those pics further confirm lta. The way it has its tentacles curled is classic lta. 100% LTA, no doubt. They can get to be well over 12”

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe h.aurora too, but it doesn’t typically have the orange foot, it also sits differently in the sand, it’s mouth is almost like buried deeper than the rest of it. Also I don’t see the bead-line tentacles that are present in h.aurora. From what I can see in the pic, the tentacles are striped, but not ‘beaded.’
I did some more digging, and I believe it to just be a malu. Compared to a friends LTA, it’s defo not that, just some funky malu

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more digging, and I believe it to just be a malu. Compared to a friends LTA, it’s defo not that, just some funky malu
You’re 100% wrong. It doesn’t have any characteristics that align with h.malu. The foot is wrong, the oral disc is wrong, the tentacles are wrong, the verracue is wrong. What on earth are you relying on for your identification? You should rely on anatomy for identification. Just count the tentacles and you’ll find it’s way too sparse for h.malu.

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe h.aurora too, but it doesn’t typically have the orange foot, it also sits differently in the sand, it’s mouth is almost like buried deeper than the rest of it. The tentacles are too sparse as well. Also I don’t see the bead-line tentacles that are present in h.aurora. From what I can see in the pic, the tentacles are striped, but not ‘beaded.’
B21E3DF4-834D-4A58-9231-938451DE0008.jpeg
I’m referring to the pics about the local shops OP provided.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re 100% wrong. It doesn’t have any characteristics that align with h.malu. The foot is wrong, the oral disc is wrong, the tentacles are wrong, the verracue is wrong. What on earth are you relying on for your identification? You should rely on anatomy for identification. Just count the tentacles and you’ll find it’s way too sparse for h.malu.
I’m looking at pictures from collectors locally, and from friends who have long tentacle nems. The tentacles don’t seem as clustered or as numerous as an LTA, and I asked a friend who had a malu who said his was very similar.

Could it be a difference in colour and traits due to geography? Western Australia collected vs Pacific vs Caribbean?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at pictures from collectors locally, and from friends who have long tentacle nems. The tentacles don’t seem as clustered or as numerous as an LTA, and I asked a friend who had a malu who said his was very similar.

Could it be a difference in colour and traits due to geography? Western Australia collected vs Pacific vs Caribbean?
Collectors very frequently misidentify anemones. You need to rely on anatomical features when available. Your anemone has every known anatomical feature of lta’s visible to the eye.

LTA’s have the fewest tentacles of all hobby anemone’s

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collectors very frequently misidentify anemones. You need to rely on anatomical features when available. Your anemone has every known anatomical feature of lta’s visible to the eye.

LTA’s have the fewest tentacles of all hobby anemone’s
Well I’ll be danged. Thank you man, I really appreciate it. Not sure what to do now, it’s in a corner but growing quickly haha.

Is there any site/list/video where I can find ID guides?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ll be danged. Thank you man, I really appreciate it. Not sure what to do now, it’s in a corner but growing quickly haha.

Is there any site/list/video where I can find ID guides?
Not specifically unfortunately, at least not that I’m aware of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back