help with new aquamaxx skimmer?

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got it based off of seeing good reviews here, so maybe someone here knows what I've done wrong. (side note, I've sent BRS an email, since that's the one listed on the aquamaxx site, but have yet to hear back from them.)

I tried to get a sump going on my tank, and could never get it to work. So I decided to get a HOB skimmer instead, and settled on the aquamaxx 1.5. I got an open box one, but it was supposed to be top quality, so I'm hoping it isn't just a dead one someone returned. I set it up according to the directions on the box. It's running water through it, but there are absolutely no bubbles at all. I could get a few yesterday hooking it up to my air pump, but today I can't even get it to do that. I don't see any kinks in the intake hose. What should I try first to get it to work?

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bubbles in the skimmer at all. I'll flip it to the front to grab a couple pictures.

Edit: I am, as it turns out, blind as a bat. There WAS a kink in the airline. It was just that I'd gotten it wrapped around the foot of the pump and couldn't see it. So now I've got a microbubble storm, which I've read is normal until it breaks in. I've also got a cup that is full with yellow-ish water, and already full to overflowing which I have also read is normal? I've got a line going to a jug outside the tank, but that's just the initial stuff and it'll settle down and not need that all the time once it catches up, right?

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that yellow airtube disconnects very easily. Its a great skimmer, but that connection is so flimsy.

It usually takes me 3 or 4 tries to get the unit back into the chamber without disconnecting the airtube.

I've heard some people glue it together, but I don't want to do that.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you're talking about the intake tube disconnecting down near the pump, I used two very small zip ties and zip tied the power cord for the pump to the pump stand holes. There are two little holes near the "feet" of the pump. Large enough to fit small zip ties in and secure the power cord.

That way, when you're inserting everything back into the body, it won't catch and pull the hose off. You can also zip tie the yellow rubber hose gently to the pump bottom where it slips on.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back