Help with new clam

starfish138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone gotten a 3” derasa Clam and had success with keeping it. What did you do to help it survive?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a white band of new shell growth. Sorry if you already know this. Light is the main requirement. I could never keep clams alive for more than a few months until I invested in a par meter and found out I was starving them.
My derasa is on the sand bed getting around 300+ par and has doubled in size over the last year. Some people keep them under less par. I don't know if it matters with clams but mine are in a fairly mature system of 8 years. It has moved several inches I assume to get in a position where it likes the lighting better. I have had to move corals because the clam was blowing sand on them. I though it was fish until I saw it happen. Mine has done fine with what some folks would call higher nutrients NO3 15-20 and PO4 0.3-0.6 I don't feed anything like phyto just give it light.
20240111_141117.jpg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasas can live in lower light than Croceas and Maximas, but they still need good lighting every day. At least 150-200 PAR with a solid reef capable spectrum.

Beyond that just stable parameters (especially calcium and alkalinity for growth) and no fish that nibble on them or pyramid snails that devour them.

I’ve also found that my new clams do well in a temp and pH adjusted 30 min freshwater bath.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasas can live in lower light than Croceas and Maximas, but they still need good lighting every day. At least 150-200 PAR with a solid reef capable spectrum.

Beyond that just stable parameters (especially calcium and alkalinity for growth) and no fish that nibble on them or pyramid snails that devour them.
This ^

OP
OP
starfish138

starfish138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a white band of new shell growth. Sorry if you already know this. Light is the main requirement. I could never keep clams alive for more than a few months until I invested in a par meter and found out I was starving them.
My derasa is on the sand bed getting around 300+ par and has doubled in size over the last year. Some people keep them under less par. I don't know if it matters with clams but mine are in a fairly mature system of 8 years. It has moved several inches I assume to get in a position where it likes the lighting better. I have had to move corals because the clam was blowing sand on them. I though it was fish until I saw it happen. Mine has done fine with what some folks would call higher nutrients NO3 15-20 and PO4 0.3-0.6 I don't feed anything like phyto just give it light.
20240111_141117.jpg
thank you for the info! my tank is 1.5 years old at this point, I will probably need to kick up my light 100%. I have 6 inch hippo clam already for about 3 years now, its doing great. wonder if my hippo is doing well, will the derasa be ok too? I do add phyto daily. Ive tried the maxima twice before with no luck. my nutrients are on the higher side. how big was yours when you got it?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa Clams are sand dwellers, and as mentioned above don't require as much light as others like Maxima Clams for example. Those AI Blades should be producing around 150 par which should be OK, but on the lower end of what is acceptable for them. Also, keep track of your water parameters. Clams will use a lot of calcium and deplete your Alk as they grow. My clam seemingly cares little about nutrients. My nitrate averages between 10 and 20. Some people like to keep nutrients higher for clams. FWIW

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big was yours when you got it?
It was about 2.5". It's close to 5" now and much taller as well.
I also have a maxima that is doing well after 10 months that I keep in in the same tank under similar lighting as the derasa but mounted on a rock on the bottom. Not a really long time much longer than I could keep them in the past under poor lighting.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on how tall the tank is. My tank is 18" tall with 1 20" grow over it and at 100% i get over 200 on the sand bed up to 4" in front and behind it. So that should be good for a derasa. Op has both a grow and glow should be higher par at 100% on both.

OP
OP
starfish138

starfish138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve also found that my new clams do well in a temp and pH adjusted 30 min freshwate

I guess it depends on how tall the tank is. My tank is 18" tall with 1 20" grow over it and at 100% i get over 200 on the sand bed up to 4" in front and behind it. So that should be good for a derasa. Op has both a grow and glow should be higher par at 100% on both.my tank

I guess it depends on how tall the tank is. My tank is 18" tall with 1 20" grow over it and at 100% i get over 200 on the sand bed up to 4" in front and behind it. So that should be good for a derasa. Op has both a grow and glow should be higher par at 100% on both.
my tank is 24" tall. My lights are right above the water.

OP
OP
starfish138

starfish138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what brand for phyto do you guys use? I use seachem right now, i have used algae barn in the past.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back