Clams in Refugim

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to use hard shell clams purchased from local food store in my Refugim. The water quality is fantastic never seen it that clean. Has anyone else tried this?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to use hard shell clams purchased from local food store in my Refugim. The water quality is fantastic never seen it that clean. Has anyone else tried this?
Bivalves are great for cleaning water! Unless you're in a tropical location though the clams you put in are probably a Coldwater species that won't live super long at tropical temperatures.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bivalves are great for cleaning water! Unless you're in a tropical location though the clams you put in are probably a Coldwater species that won't live super long at tropical temperatures.
There have been some posts about one or two species that acclimate pretty well to reed tank conditions. I'll have to dig up those posts. One of them was collected off the coast of Mexico.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I didn’t think of that
Look into something like crossbar venus clams or if your tank is pretty stable with good light derasa clams are fantastic at removing organics from the water. I used to have an 18 inch derasa, and keeping nutrients up with that bad boy was a challenge. It's like having another filter.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question pops up every now and then:

Dr. Dendrostein did filtration using oysters (discussed in the first thread below): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-helpful-would-you-say-clams-are-with-filtration.777605/
For tridacnid clams (gigas
specifically):
20190808_182512.jpg

2000000000169825.jpg
YES, to all the concerns about keeping a Gigas this large. From spraying water out of a 60"x30"x31" tank daily, spawning multiple times a year, and the clam's massive weight and movement. Which I found impossible to support, and because of this it caused the hinge to separate, and its eventual demise. Also the 550+ gallon system became a parasite to it's needs. It would strip all NO3, PO4, CA, and ALK. This one I had for 14 years and at it's death in October it was 30" long and 140lbs. I will never keep another Gigas and I recommend other do the same. I enjoyed it. But I am done with it! Check that off the bucket list.
There are a few others, but these are ones I remember how to find easily.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cthulukelele @ISpeakForTheSeas also, have you heard people using thorny oysters coolected from Florida waters?
Back when I really really wanted one their long term survival in reef tanks was abysmal. I haven't kept up to date in the past few years. If they do better these days I'd be first in line to add one. Thorny oysters and flame scallops would accomplish a similar goal while being prettier but both have a pretty terrible track record in home aquaria

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into something like crossbar venus clams or if your tank is pretty stable with good light derasa clams are fantastic at removing organics from the water. I used to have an 18 inch derasa, and keeping nutrients up with that bad boy was a challenge. It's like having another filter.
WOW, an 18" :astonished-face: what did you do with it?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with putting store bought clams in an aquarium?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, an 18" :astonished-face: what did you do with it?
Sadly if you've ever seen my cautionary posts about filefish, my opinion of aiptasia eating filefish comes from one devouring a huge portion and killing my clam overnight maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with putting store bought clams in an aquarium?
No, and depending on the clam, it would theoretically work. I do have experience with other bivalves that would do a similar job. I just worry about the long term effect of tropical temperatures on our mostly temperate water store clams

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly if you've ever seen my cautionary posts about filefish, my opinion of aiptasia eating filefish comes from one devouring a huge portion and killing my clam overnight maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
What did you do with the shell? Hand sink? I had panned on getting a Maxima until I was told if it dies, it takes everything else with it. So I've been avoiding it now.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with the shell? Hand sink? I had panned on getting a Maxima until I was told if it dies, it takes everything else with it. So I've been avoiding it now.
I kept it in my aquascape until my tank crash then tossed it out. It's a decent sized tank so I just let all the little critters feast on the clam for a few days. In a small tank that could be true the crashing everything if you dont remove it. They have a lot of mass and if they rotted without intervention could crash a tank. It's pretty easy to tell when they're on their way out though and if you removed it I don't see a problem. If it's your first clam a derasa is usually a better choice as theyre hardier and need less light. They do grow a good deal bigger though. Clams under 3 inches really need supplemental feeding for awhile. The general rule is the bigger the clam, the easier it is to keep alive (though keeping up with the nutrients, alk, and calcium needs of a very large clam can get pretty staggering).

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and depending on the clam, it would theoretically work. I do have experience with other bivalves that would do a similar job. I just worry about the long term effect of tropical temperatures on our mostly temperate water store clams
I have heard similar things. I want to try it…slowly. One or two checking on them regularly. Might work well in a refugium

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back