Help with new RBTA display

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the display is new, but the rock and nems are not. We just changed tanks. Since this tank has dramatically different dimensions than their old cube, I would like a little help with lighting and flow. The tank is 20g and filled with new SW. I dosed it to 10 No3 & 0.1 Po4 when I filled the tank.

And yes, I know they move. Nems will be nems. I'm just looking for a starting point to allow them to find the best possible spot. Anyway's here is the set up:
20230720_191010.jpg

20230720_191056.jpg

Lighting:

The light is a Prime HD set to AB+ and currently at around 60%. This gives me 140ish par, where the nems are sitting, on each side of the tank. There's a 220 par hot spot at the center top of the arch which tapers to around 80 at the far side walls. I can make 400 on the arch and 300+ where the nems currently are, with a tank wide minimum of 150. What would be a great starting point, and have you noticed and positive responses by keeping them in a higher par area? So far the have always been in the 150-200 par range.

Flow:
I think the flow is decent enough where it is right now (also my max), but I'd like some input. I have a 326gph return with 4 duckbills, and a 1600gph wide angle wavemaker pointing down the back of the rockwork running in sine wave on its fastest interval.

Here is a vid of the flow

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems will be nems (they'll stay put until they don't...). My anemones have always been in the 150-250 PAR range (their choice, not mine), so I think your lighting is fine. In terms of flow, the return pump is fine; you may find that the powerhead is a tad much - I'd probably dial it back to 50% maximum (you typically want 10-40x supplemental flow, or 200-800Gph).

viper5dn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider moving the powerhead a little higher too. Might keep them from getting blasted with flow (and keep them from moving too much). My nems also prefer about ~200 PAR, but they'll move to their ideal lighting. Scape looks great so far!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%

Back