Help With Orange Back Fairy Wrasse Colors

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Orange Back Fairy Wrasse for close to a year now and his colors have gradually washed out. He had the classic beautiful colors when I bought him. I feed a varied diet of frozen (5 varieties) and dry (4 varieties). I feed two to three times per day. All of my other fish have great colors and are fat and happy. The Orange Back shows no signs illness. He is fat, very active and eats like a pig. I have a SPS dominant tank with tons of current that he seems to enjoy surfing in. Overall a happy fish.

Could it be that he needs some females?

This leads to my next questions. If I get 3 or 4 females will they make it through the QT process without one changing into a male? Can two males coexist in a 120 gallon tank? My normal QT last 2 months.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Orange Back Fairy Wrasse for close to a year now and his colors have gradually washed out. He had the classic beautiful colors when I bought him. I feed a varied diet of frozen (5 varieties) and dry (4 varieties). I feed two to three times per day. All of my other fish have great colors and are fat and happy. The Orange Back shows no signs illness. He is fat, very active and eats like a pig. I have a SPS dominant tank with tons of current that he seems to enjoy surfing in. Overall a happy fish.

Could it be that he needs some females?

This leads to my next questions. If I get 3 or 4 females will they make it through the QT process without one changing into a male? Can two males coexist in a 120 gallon tank? My normal QT last 2 months.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
On the colors, some wrasse do wash out in captivity in the absence of other wrasse. As far as females, that’s not a good idea they’ll all eventually change male, and that won’t go over well. You’re much better off buying other male fairy wrasse as competition, that may help brighten him up.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen orange backs fade even in the pressence of other fairy wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen orange backs fade even in the pressence of other fairy wrasse.
It has do be at the top of the social hierarchy, but it is also one of the more peaceful fairy wrasses species. The fact that it is already in the tank before other fairies helps. Species such as isosceles, lunatus, rhomboidalis, lubbocki, would be good fits with the orangeback.

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has do be at the top of the social hierarchy, but it is also one of the more peaceful fairy wrasses species. The fact that it is already in the tank before other fairies helps. Species such as isosceles, lunatus, rhomboidalis, lubbocki, would be good fits with the orangeback.

Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back