Pintail Fairy Wrasse Colour Loss

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I bought a male Pintail Fairy Wrasse a couple months ago. He had very vibrant colours and looked incredible. Over the last month it appears his colours have changed and become very dull. Is this normal? Is it possible a male wrasse can change to female?

Thanks in advance!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-terminal males can turn to female in certain conditions, like if there's another dominate male. There is a point of no return where they become terminal males.

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other male would be a melanurus wrasse in the tank. Just weird. Never had this happen in the past. So curious if this was common. The colours now are disappointing lol.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can’t transition back to female. The most dominant. Male will have brighter better colors. Once he no longer is the most dominant his colors will just be normal male.
Stress
Bullying
Disease
Diet or old wrasse. Are some reasons color can fade. Wrasse have a short life and if they are labeled Supermale most are full grown and then you don’t know how old the wrasse is.

Clear pictures under more white?

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try to get a picture later tonight of him. I see no bullying from the other wrasse though so who knows!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I bought a male Pintail Fairy Wrasse a couple months ago. He had very vibrant colours and looked incredible. Over the last month it appears his colours have changed and become very dull. Is this normal? Is it possible a male wrasse can change to female?

Thanks in advance!
Wrasses cannot revert once transitioning, they can slow in the transition if there is a more dominant wrasse but a ‘supermale’ to me sounds as though they’re old and matured.

Pintails don’t seem to do well with keeping colour in a tank with more dominant wrasses and they seem to fall back as a less dominant wrasse letting the others take control.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pintail Fairies are sissies. They are often stressed out by another wrasse. Most of the time they just been timid and lost color due to stress and domination from other wrasses.
If you have a large mirror, cover at least 1/3 or more of your aquarium, you can attach this to the front of your aquarium once or twice a week for about 1/2 hrs. It will really get the fish in your tank active and get their blood circulation going. It is one of the best ways to keep colors of your fishes vibrant. It goes without saying that your must have healthy, NON malnourish fish in order for this to help.

IMG_6828.jpeg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pintail Fairies are sissies. They are often stressed out by another wrasse. Most of the time they just been timid and lost color due to stress and domination from other wrasses.
If you have a large mirror, cover at least 1/3 or more of your aquarium, you can attach this to the front of your aquarium once or twice a week for about 1/2 hrs. It will really get the fish in your tank active and get their blood circulation going. It is one of the best ways to keep colors of your fishes vibrant. It goes without saying that your must have healthy, NON malnourish fish in order for this to help.

IMG_6828.jpeg
My Carpenter's loves his mirror!

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of the mirror idea. I’m going to try that. I will say that his colours are coming back and is probably about 75% there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back