OP
mileysmustache

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I did document the entire thing for my youtube channel, if anyone is interested. Corals went back in my main today and so far, we continue to have good luck!

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Your situation has really opened my eyes to the emergency situation of a hurricane with a tank and how to handle it. We plan to have a whole-house generator before we go to saltwater but even then sometimes choices have to be made as to who/what gets to use the power and for how long. Thank you for posting all this, especially the Youtube video.

OP
OP
mileysmustache

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Your situation has really opened my eyes to the emergency situation of a hurricane with a tank and how to handle it. We plan to have a whole-house generator before we go to saltwater but even then sometimes choices have to be made as to who/what gets to use the power and for how long. Thank you for posting all this, especially the Youtube video.

Sorry for the slow response! Yes, it was rather dramatic haha. Luckily, things seem to have stabilized with the Evo, it's reading 0.0 ammonia and everything is thriving. Having a bit of a cyano bloom, but I think that's to be expected. The Edge is still heavily cycling, but I'll be doing a big water change today so that the ammonia levels are at least on the chart and adding some Stability. Thank you for the YT view and best of luck with your own storm prep down the road!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the cycling tank, it is 100% better to fully clean the tank to arrest the cycle and restore health vs dosing anything, including bac

Especially if there's a sandbed, that needs full cleaning the most. The rocks need dislodged of waste, clean saltwater in a bucket/swish them in it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
extended periods of stress result in accumulation and clogging of pores on live rock that do filtration and help with gas exchange, to clean is literally tank cpr its so neat.

thats actually the ideal prep as well...the clean condition is less o2 command during power outages, and its also easier after the stress event since less systemic bacteria are competing for resources. here is a giant page on making tanks 2 gals-200 gallons instantly clean without loss. what we do for home moves, tank upgrades, cyano cures, or just ran on a great working tank as age resetting/prevention is all the exact same move.

additional irony: taking your tank apart has no room for customization. repeat what works only from the work, thorough rinsing etc :)

OP
OP
mileysmustache

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the cycling tank, it is 100% better to fully clean the tank to arrest the cycle and restore health vs dosing anything, including bac

Especially if there's a sandbed, that needs full cleaning the most. The rocks need dislodged of waste, clean saltwater in a bucket/swish them in it

That's what I ended up doing, yeah. I saved all my live rock during the initial outage, which has helped a lot. The Edge just has a very fine sand bed and was only a 3 month old tank to begin with, so it's undergoing quite a few more swings than the Evo, which was mature and had more rock.

OP
OP
mileysmustache

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
extended periods of stress result in accumulation and clogging of pores on live rock that do filtration and help with gas exchange, to clean is literally tank cpr its so neat.

thats actually the ideal prep as well...the clean condition is less o2 command during power outages, and its also easier after the stress event since less systemic bacteria are competing for resources. here is a giant page on making tanks 2 gals-200 gallons instantly clean without loss. what we do for home moves, tank upgrades, cyano cures, or just ran on a great working tank as age resetting/prevention is all the exact same move.

additional irony: taking your tank apart has no room for customization. repeat what works only from the work, thorough rinsing etc :)

I did significant water changes on both tanks right before the storm. You can just only run for so long once the backups and batteries run out. All live rock was salvaged, so it's been pretty easy setting everything back up again. And I did take the time to redo my scape a bit, as some of my corals had outgrown my previous setup. But I'm really impressed with how smoothly and easily everything has rebounded :)

OP
OP
mileysmustache

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the saturation, I just grabbed this off my Instagram, but this is about 48 hours after everything went back in. Having a little bloom, which is just about cleared up now, but everyone was fully open and active :)

IMG_3675.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is so nice!! so healthy it w be great. corals will not open like that in true free ammonia that was a real cpr method you ran to get em through.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back