Help with Potters angel nutrition

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a female potters angel for about 9 months now. She is fat and happy and very active. But I am worried because it appears she has some holes in her head, around the eyes and nose. I know there is a hole in the head disease, is this caused by lack of proper nutrition or something else?

I feed daily 3 cubes of frozen foods, typically a mixture of spirulina enriched brine, mysis, emerald entree, plankton, and krill cubes. I also cut up a piece of nori into small pieces and add that with the food. The 3 cubes and the nori are thawed in a small strainer, then I soak the thawed foods in .5ml of Selcon for about 10-15 min, then its into the tank. I also have a sheet or nori in a seaweed clip about twice a week.

What am I doing wrong, or what could be causing these holes in her head? My other fish are a pair of clowns and a yellow coris wrasse. The tank is a 60gal cube, 20gal sump, and 20gal frag tank all connected.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the parameters, including phosphate? Do you run carbon?

I would reduce selcon and the frequency of the feedings.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dwarfs will get that when you run carbon -- notice I said some, and not all. I have a C. deborae (( a new species, looks like a blue version of C. nox )), that will start to show that whenever I run carbon. After not running it for about a month it will clear up. I have never had that issue with any other of my 6 dwarfs (( including a Potter's )), when I run it.

For what I fed my dwarfs;
LifeLine's Herbivore mix
Rod's Food -- blue, green, and red labels
Prime Reef
Angel formula
Spectrum pellets.

Also, I have found that lots of mature live rocks helps a great deal, since they pick at them all day long.
Lastly, what temps do you run your tank? Potter's (( along with a handful of dwarfs )) prefer slightly cooler temps.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the parameters, including phosphate? Do you run carbon?

I would reduce selcon and the frequency of the feedings.

35ppt
pH 8.0-8.2
8.8dKH
440ppm calcium
1390ppm mag
0 PO4/NO3
Yes i run carbon

Some dwarfs will get that when you run carbon -- notice I said some, and not all. I have a C. deborae (( a new species, looks like a blue version of C. nox )), that will start to show that whenever I run carbon. After not running it for about a month it will clear up. I have never had that issue with any other of my 6 dwarfs (( including a Potter's )), when I run it.

For what I fed my dwarfs;
LifeLine's Herbivore mix
Rod's Food -- blue, green, and red labels
Prime Reef
Angel formula
Spectrum p ellets.

Also, I have found that lots of mature live rocks helps a great deal, since they pick at them all day long.
Lastly, what temps do you run your tank? Potter's (( along with a handful of dwarfs )) prefer slightly cooler temps.

Thanks for the info. I run my tank 79.0-79.5 with a temp controller

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop Carbon for the time being, and see if it clears up. Also, if you have a way to lower tank temps, even a few degrees, it would certainly help, with 73-74ºF being ideal.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely stop carbon for a bit.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i will remove the carbon and go from there. I only like to change one thing at a time so if it doesnt heal up i will look into adjusting temp

Thanks guys

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running my tank carbon free for roughly 45 days and have not seen any improvement on my Potters angel. How long does it typically take to recover from this?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a little while, but you should be seeing some improvement by now.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, i'll keep a closer eye on her for the next couple weeks to see if there are any improvements.

Thanks

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have slowed down/stopped and had fish begin to recover from HLLE by feeding Spectrum Thera + pellets. This could be anecdotal as they were in sub par conditions initially, but all were eventually weened onto NLS pellets as their staple food and showed vast signs of improvement. This happened most notably with an Emperor Angel and Blue Regal Tang. Might be worth a shot if you can get the Potters to accept the pellets.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess but to follow up on stun reefers comment, perhaps the diet is lacking in greens/sponges as angels need this.
Maybe try some foods specific to angelfish, see if it helps.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yah I have been trying to find Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food or something similar but we just don't have the quality LFS that would carry those foods.

I was watching the angel last night with a friend who had suggested stopping the carbon as well, and it does appear that the holes that were above her left eye have completely healed so that gave me some hope. There are still some spots above her right eye and across the bridge of her nose, so I am going to keep a close eye on those and see if they look any better in the coming month or so.

Last edited:

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell Aquatics makes an angelfood soak called something like Angel Elixer. I've heard good things about it and perhaps it would be worth looking into? I also think that's a lot of food to feed for 4 fish. I have 9 fish and only feed 1 cube every other day + a nori sheet a few times a week. How are your parameters now that you aren't running the carbon?

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i will look into that since I am going to have to order food online.

Params are still rock solid, haven't budged. I feed the extra food because i have a lot of LPS in my frag tank and it filters down to there, plus i have 4 pep shrimp and 4 or 5 emerald crabs. I like to let them get some scraps since there is not much algae and no aiptasia. But I have lessened the amount i feed. I'm doing the 3 cubes every other day, and a small pinch of flake in between if I feed anything at all.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back