Help with powerhead arrangement 125 gal

biguebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on what to do for flow on my 125 mixed reef.
Currently I have two AC koralias (one higher towards front of tank and one lower towards back) and 3 small current USA DC units that I was trying to mix up the flow with (all positioned along back wall). The current usa’s I bought when I first started and now realize are basically junk. They won’t stay on for more than an hour, so I’m dumping them.

I’m considering putting both of the Koralias on the left wall/bottom with one towards front and one towards back and maybe a Nero 5 on the right wall in the top/middle. Idea being create a randomized flow across top of reef and then using the AC pumps to minimize dead spots and keep things moving circular. I considered a gyre but maintenance on those looks a bit daunting, and the Neros are supposed to have a pretty wide output arent they?

Just looking for opinions, I don’t think I want to spend the $400 for an ecotech yet so looking at the Nero. Tell me I’m wrong about any of it or what would you do?

Disclaimer - yes I’m running a couple of Aquaclear 110s instead of a sump. Have some GFO / carbon running in them. This tank is above another occupied 125 and I can’t do a sump yet.

92A32634-0DBE-4FB4-B278-4367BDE818D1.jpeg 61B33DE4-39ED-4D9C-AB14-C1AE624F335D.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty nice. I put my power heads closer to the surface and aim them to make surface motion across the tank. With two, mount them on opposite ends, one near the front and the other near back to get a circular motion.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like neros. Have a nero5 myself. You'll be surprised how much output and how wide it can be for such a small unit.

I have a 30G and honestly it was and overkill (nero3 was sold out when I set up my tank) - I don't have any other powered and kept itbonly at 40% max

OP
OP
B

biguebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional thought - so should I be shooting for circular motion around the rock structure or from top to bottom?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" I don’t think I want to spend the $400 for an ecotech yet". I like how you said "yet" hahaha. The best thing about the eco tech for me is that no wires go into the tank. They're also so easy to clean.
The problem with eco tech, is that once you get one, you realize how much wires are ruining the look of the tank lol. At least that's how it is for me. Now I want to replace my second powerhead with another mp10, and just want ecotechs on any future systems.

OP
OP
B

biguebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright decided
" I don’t think I want to spend the $400 for an ecotech yet". I like how you said "yet" hahaha. The best thing about the eco tech for me is that no wires go into the tank. They're also so easy to clean.
The problem with eco tech, is that once you get one, you realize how much wires are ruining the look of the tank lol. At least that's how it is for me. Now I want to replace my second powerhead with another mp10, and just want ecotechs on any future systems.
Haha - yeah I think my plan is to get this DT nice and established then take it all to the next level and use the stuff I replace for a FOWLR or something. I’m about 6 months in so trying to make sure I’ve got it all nailed before I go full “apex/sump/mp40s” on it. Will use the koralias for salt mixing in the brutes and it seems like these Neros would be usable for another system or as a very serviceable backup.

OP
OP
B

biguebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a quick illustration of the flow I was trying to describe in the original post. The yellow arrows would be the koralias and the red the Nero 5 (or ecotech if I just can’t resist lol).

Attachments

• 6CDE36BB-E68E-4688-8451-485FE1F91761.jpeg
    6CDE36BB-E68E-4688-8451-485FE1F91761.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 63

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a quick illustration of the flow I was trying to describe in the original post. The yellow arrows would be the koralias and the red the Nero 5 (or ecotech if I just can’t resist lol).
I'd put the yellow towards the top, that way you get that middle section of more random flow.

Usually random is better bc with consistent circular flow it would also means you'll have consistent dead spots. Also, some corals like random more than linear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back