Help with pricing?

CapeReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much would and should a show size healthy Gem tang sell for? Considering downsizing tanks and would need to sell my tangs and larger fish and don’t know what they are going for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How much would and should a show size healthy Gem tang sell for? Considering downsizing tanks and would need to sell my tangs and larger fish and don’t know what they are going for.
Ive been steadily seeing $399 to $499 average

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a show size? 9” fish? I thought 3” were pushing that
5” fish push 500 but a show size would probably be a grand if not more (This species can reach 1’ long).

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feel as though an established fish is worth a lot more then a new arrival. I’d list for 850-1000 at least assuming he is healthy and immaculate looking.

OP
OP
C

CapeReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well retailers sell small gems for $1000 and sell out of inventory….but buyers buying from a known source have that “peace of mind” that they pay for. Healthy, fat & 9” gem tang, I’m thinking of listing a pretty high price with OBO to see what I get for some offers. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show size gem tang this big for sale before personally. I only seen max 4-5”. Beauty about this hobby is people pay a pretty penny for simply being impatient.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well retailers sell small gems for $1000 and sell out of inventory….but buyers buying from a known source have that “peace of mind” that they pay for. Healthy, fat & 9” gem tang, I’m thinking of listing a pretty high price with OBO to see what I get for some offers. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show size gem tang this big for sale before personally. I only seen max 4-5”. Beauty about this hobby is people pay a pretty penny for simply being impatient.
Keep in mind you aren’t a retailer and anyone buying from you is taking the risk of infecting their tank regardless of how clean and healthy you say the fish is. You won’t want to hear this but your not going to get more than retail for a small gem tang for it. Even candy corals has been trying to sell the same ones for multiple weekends on sale for $250 and they still have some.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back