Help with Quarantine Tank size

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my tang had ich and immediately began to set up my quarantine tanks. I have a small blue tang (about an inch) and a purple tang (maybe two inch) + 2 clownfish. The Quarantine tank sizes are 13.5evo and a 10g. I really don’t want to buy more tanks but don’t know if this will be enough to medicate for the short amount of time. Please let me know!

image.jpg image.jpg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s enough. I have a large yellow in a 10 gallon. He is doing great. I know he needs bigger space but this is quarantine. He will have the big tank when he is disease free. Smaller tanks also make it easier to do frequent water changes and medicate.

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s enough. I have a large yellow in a 10 gallon. He is doing great. I know he needs bigger space but this is quarantine. He will have the big tank when he is disease free. Smaller tanks also make it easier to do frequent water changes and medicate.
How long are you keeping your tang in? The whole cycle (about 70days) or less?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 days. 45 days of copper, 15 days of General Cure (2 doses as recommended) and observation. He had active ich but I do this for all my fish, active disease or not.

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 days. 45 days of copper, 15 days of General Cure (2 doses as recommended) and observation. He had active ich but I do this for all my fish, active disease or not.
Ok, it think we’re doing the same thing lol. I’ve never had ich before so still kind of learning. Your doing the 45 days of copper and then for the last 15days you stop copper treatment?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. I change out most of the water. Then I add general cure as prescribed and then just observe to make sure no remaining signs of infection.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is frequent water changes. I do a 5 gallon water change in my 20 gallon tank and a 2 gallon water change in my 10 gallon tank every other day. More often if needed. Also if your doing copper make sure to add it to the new water before placing it in the tank so that it never drops below therapeutic level.

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is frequent water changes. I do a 5 gallon water change in my 20 gallon tank and a 2 gallon water change in my 10 gallon tank every other day. More often if needed. Also if your doing copper make sure to add it to the new water before placing it in the tank so that it never drops below therapeutic level.
Should the small inverts/CUC in main my main tank be removed also? I understand that they will likely die in quarantine but not very important

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if your fish has itch your entire tank has ich. The inverts/cuc will not be affected by itch although they can be carriers. I would not remove them. There is no benefit to it. Your entire tank will have to go fallow without fish for an x number of days for the ich to die. Plus copper will kill the inverts/cuc. Some say fallow period is 45 days some say 76. I’ll let you decide based on the info on this site. Only your fish need to be placed in a QT and treated with copper.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to remove the CUC. Leave them in and leave the DT fishless for 45 or 76 days The ick lifecycle is broken when there are no fish to reinfect. Just make sure you do not cross contaminate between the DT and QTs. No shared tools and no wet hands between tanks

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you leave the inverts and CUC in the main tank and just let the tank be fallow. As long as there is no fish in the main tank (Fish is the host needed for ich to complete its life cycle) the ich will die, even with the cuc in the main tank.

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to remove the CUC. Leave them in and leave the DT fishless for 45 or 76 days The ick lifecycle is broken when there are no fish to reinfect. Just make sure you do not cross contaminate between the DT and QTs. No shared tools and no wet hands between tanks
Ok

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you leave the inverts and CUC in the main tank and just let the tank be fallow. As long as there is no fish in the main tank (Fish is the host needed for ich to complete its life cycle) the ich will die, even with the cuc in the main tank.
It’s been 60 days since I started the quarantine and just wanted to see if everything went well for your quarantine as well. Little worried that things won’t go as planned after waiting so long.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back