Help with red cyano

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried just about everything I can think of and what I have been told by my LFS. I have been battling red cyano for months. I have used chemi clean and used it correctly with no success, I have added more flow to the problem area, less feeding, light intensity down to 10 - 15% and it just keeps coming back. My last effort my LFS told me to do was blast chemi clean 3 times in a row with 0 water changes. Did that, and yet again no success.
I am ready to throw my tank out a window. [emoji854]

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I am sick of this stuff!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be annoying but I can't remember having a tank that didn't have a little cyano. For now I would stop using the chemiclean. I would remove the cyano weekly with water changes and blow off the remaining during the week with a baster. It's anecdotal but microbelift bacteria seemed to curb a lot of cyano for us. I would focus on keeping your tank stable at this point, keep up on a regular mantenance schedule and be patient.

OP
OP
NoahBurger13

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be annoying but I can't remember having a tank that didn't have a little cyano. For now I would stop using the chemiclean. I would remove the cyano weekly with water changes and blow off the remaining during the week with a baster. It's anecdotal but microbelift bacteria seemed to curb a lot of cyano for us. I would focus on keeping your tank stable at this point, keep up on a regular mantenance schedule and be patient.

I have stopped using it about a week ago, seeing as it did nothing for me. I do water changes pretty religiously so I guess I’ll just keep sucking the top layer off and keeping it stable and go from there.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try and stay consistent with feedings and nutrient export. Test regularly and keep things stable. It's a battle for sure, hang in there. IME there's no quick fix for cyano.

OP
OP
NoahBurger13

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try and stay consistent with feedings and nutrient export. Test regularly and keep things stable. It's a battle for sure, hang in there. IME there's no quick fix for cyano.

I’d have to agree after everything I’ve tried, there really is no quick fix. I feed frozen mysis every other day and do water changes every Saturday and I follow those religiously so hopefully after some time and constant stability it will go away. Thanks!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and read up on some of the threads her on h2o2 dosing. Seems like there is a strain of cyanobacteria that has a spirulina relationship. This might be different approach if it fits your circumstances. It had worked for me

Seems like this strain releases I to the water column at night and can be attacked with h2o2 at that point. If I remember correctly. But please read as much as you can first.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
NoahBurger13

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and read up on some of the threads her on h2o2 dosing. Seems like there is a strain of cyanobacteria that has a spirulina relationship. This might be different approach if it fits your circumstances. It had worked for me

Seems like this strain releases I to the water column at night and can be attacked with h2o2 at that point. If I remember correctly. But please read as much as you can first.

Hope this helps.

I will check that out. Thank you!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean has never failed me with Cyno. Are you sure its a fresh new batch and tripple check the amounts. Everytime I use it, the Cyno is gone in 48 hours and gone for a very very long time. Possibly buy a brand new unit, then after 2 weeks,hit the tank with Vibrance, My tank is so clear it looks empty at this point, my par readings are way up, and my ORP is over 400. Right before treatment of the Cyno, water was a bit cloudy and ORP was barely reading 250. Good luck it really should work. I have SPS dominaent tank and Chemiclean/Vibrance had Zero negative effects on the corals.

OP
OP
NoahBurger13

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean has never failed me with Cyno. Are you sure its a fresh new batch and tripple check the amounts. Everytime I use it, the Cyno is gone in 48 hours and gone for a very very long time. Possibly buy a brand new unit, then after 2 weeks,hit the tank with Vibrance, My tank is so clear it looks empty at this point, my par readings are way up, and my ORP is over 400. Right before treatment of the Cyno, water was a bit cloudy and ORP was barely reading 250. Good luck it really should work. I have SPS dominaent tank and Chemiclean/Vibrance had Zero negative effects on the corals.

Strange, come to think of it my buddy used CC and it worked for him just like yours did. But mine did not, maybe I should try a new box of it or try the red slime stuff. Could of gotten a bad batch. My tank is mostly LPS and softies, haven’t noticed any negative affects.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, come to think of it my buddy used CC and it worked for him just like yours did. But mine did not, maybe I should try a new box of it or try the red slime stuff. Could of gotten a bad batch. My tank is mostly LPS and softies, haven’t noticed any negative affects.
With as much as you dosed I'd give it time. I'd let your bacteria in the tank re establish. I've read on threads that it's possible for some strains of cyano to react different to chemiclean. No tank is the same and just because it works great for some doesn't mean it will have the same effect on your tank. Take vibrant, I used it and had an explosion of cyano afterwards while others have not. Many variables going on.

OP
OP
NoahBurger13

NoahBurger13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With as much as you dosed I'd give it time. I'd let your bacteria in the tank re establish. I've read on threads that it's possible for some strains of cyano to react different to chemiclean. No tank is the same and just because it works great for some doesn't mean it will have the same effect on your tank. Take vibrant, I used it and had an explosion of cyano afterwards while others have not. Many variables going on.

Absolutely. I hate adding chemicals but I was just over it. At this point I’m just going to ride it out and keep everything as stable as possible. Thank you for your advice!

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a silly question, but have you 100% identified it as cyano?

How about details about how you set up your tank? Maybe that will point to something which might be missing? I'm kind of shooting in the dark with suggestions after the others above have chimed in lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found when I turn down my white intensity to 30%, my cyano pre much stays under control.

What kind of light do you have?

Cyano live off of phosphates and depending on the test, the test will show lower amount of phosphates then what there really is.

While chemiclean is a great product I like and have had better results with Ultralife red slime remover. I also like the Ultralife for the reason one does not have to do a unnecessary water change of %20, just do your water change as normal.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah, I'm in your spot kinda with the cyano. I haven't dosed anything yet. I'm following to see what they say. I think I'll try lights out for a few days.see how that works.

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah, I'm in your spot kinda with the cyano. I haven't dosed anything yet. I'm following to see what they say. I think I'll try lights out for a few days.see how that works.
Not an expert but read for the light out to work it has to be absolutely black. Like cover tank type situation.

I have massive outbreak at month 4 and just kept siphoning out and cleaning and keeping up with water changes and reduced feeding and it just one day went away and hasn't returned. Think eventually the bacteria stabilizes so think it just takes time and patience

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back