Help with redesigning DIY sump.

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump holds about 10 gallons of water, I designed it to be able to have filter socks and a large refugium section, but after about 1 year of having it, I am deciding to change the layout due to a few issue.

Firstly, the filter socks don't filter the water very effectively, I didn't intend to use them in the first place, so the first chamber wasn't able to fit the filter sock holder. I also thought for some reason that baffles of the same height would be a good idea, the issue is water usually just flows on top of the middle chamber and detritus accumulates int he refugium very easily. The bubble trap is also unnecessary, as I don't use an skimmer, it just serves to collect detritus.

TLDR: I am trying to change the design of my sump and would like feedback on my ideas. Anything would help a bunch. Also just ignore the fact I used MS paint.

This is the sump currently (the first chamber is the overflow section, the middle is the refugium and the third one is the return section):
1591899643073.png

I'm currently thinking about changing to one of these two:
A design that is able to use a filter sock holder effectively (same layout as the current sump),
1591899694556.png

or a design that uses filter floss instead (first section is the refugium and overflow, followed by the mechanical filtration and then the return section).
1591899769255.png

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to claim to be a sump expert. But I've had sump/refugiums from 180g (10'x2'x 18") to my current little 24g with just 2 chambers.

The tank drains through a filter sock into section 1 which is a refugium with various macro algae. There are just 2 baffles (different sizes) and the 2nd section has the skimmer and the return pump. Lots of people like them complicated, but that doesn't necessarily make them work any better.

I made this for my 40g DIY tank and the photo is just after it was set up. I now use it on my new 90g DT (36x30x20) and it still works just fine. BTW, I built the PVC box for the sump to sit in. The PVC box contains spills and splashes. It also has a drain at the back which runs out of the house in case there is a major leak.

20180723_084247.jpg

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to claim to be a sump expert. But I've had sump/refugiums from 180g (10'x2'x 18") to my current little 24g with just 2 chambers.

The tank drains through a filter sock into section 1 which is a refugium with various macro algae. There are just 2 baffles (different sizes) and the 2nd section has the skimmer and the return pump. Lots of people like them complicated, but that doesn't necessarily make them work any better.

I made this for my 40g DIY tank and the photo is just after it was set up. I now use it on my new 90g DT (36x30x20) and it still works just fine. BTW, I built the PVC box for the sump to sit in. The PVC box contains spills and splashes. It also has a drain at the back which runs out of the house in case there is a major leak.

20180723_084247.jpg
The PVC box is a really great idea, the only issue is that it reduces visibility, maybe an acrylic box would be more practical. Thankfully my apartment has a ceramic like floor, so I don't need to worry about water damage much at all, but I'm sure this could be very good for people with carpet floor.

Maybe I'll take a similar route and just have as little baffles as possible. Do you think I can get away with jus removing the first baffle?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back