Help with RedSea 250 v3 sump + Refugium

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A2027639-E66A-4D46-B6C6-BE8C67D64CC8.jpeg
I am not using my ATO for anything other than storing my electronics and I want to culture pods for a future mandarin. I think I want to use this tank as a refugium.
If I went this route, can you help me understand the water flow? The water drains from the display into the refugium - so it completely bypasses the filter socks? Then, it goes through the skimmer, return pump, and back to the display. Is this correct?

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should mention that I have an unopened RedSea RSK300 skimmer I planned to install this weekend and what I believe to be about 90% of the tools on hand to drill and pump the ATO tank.

Because I’m indecisive, I also have the stock refugium wall plate ordered and available to use if that helps.

Or would a large CPR HOB refugium be my easiest and best bet for this?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1638581491675.png

That scare the bejebbees out of me...

That being said.. the 3g ATO sucks. Get a 5g water container for gravity feed Or an ATO pump (you have to get the water there anyway)

A ball of Cheato and a good grow light works well in that front part of the sump to the right of the mechanical filter area.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1638581491675.png

That scare the bejebbees out of me...

That being said.. the 3g ATO sucks. Get a 5g water container for gravity feed Or an ATO pump (you have to get the water there anyway)

A ball of Cheato and a good grow light works well in that front part of the sump to the right of the mechanical filter area.

Yeah, i don’t have a clue to organize those cables better other than some super strong Velcro to the side or top of the tank?

That’s super good to know that I can just install the refugium wall and it’ll be sufficient for chaeto. I’ll just do that save myself the money and trouble of drilling a tank unless someone can come up with a better plan.

The mandarin was the dream fish gif this tank, so I want to do that part right.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump. You can use the space in the first chamber for a refugium and skimmer in second chamber. If you move all those cords you can put a 10 gallon ATO there and the cords will be concealed behind it.

Attachments

• 20210803_183308.jpg
    20210803_183308.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1638585577989.png

looking at your pic again there should an adjustable dived between the front area and the "skimmer" section
You’re right! I bought the tank 2nd hand and it wasn’t provided. I actually just bought/received a replacement from RedSea that I will install.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same sump. You can use the space in the first chamber for a refugium and skimmer in second chamber. If you move all those cords you can put a 10 gallon ATO there and the cords will be concealed behind it.
Thanks for your suggestion and taking the time to respond with a picture. That’s a huge help!

I actually have an ATO stored in an adjacent closet. So, I have room for storage and stuff to the right of the sump. Well, I would have the room if I could figure out how to organize the cords.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestion and taking the time to respond with a picture. That’s a huge help!

I actually have an ATO stored in an adjacent closet. So, I have room for storage and stuff to the right of the sump. Well, I would have the room if I could figure out how to organize the cords.
The stock ATO would make a nice fuge in that right side area then and you would still have room for a doser set up down the line to. You could soft plumb the fuge so no drilling glass required.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The stock ATO would make a nice fuge in that right side area then and you would still have room for a doser set up down the line to. You could soft plumb the fuge so no drilling glass required.
What should I use the dedicated refugium section for then?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I use the dedicated refugium section for then?
It gives you options. You can put some live ocean rock there at system start up for quick biodiversity. You also could use it for a reactor or two in the future. It's a nice space to have available. I have even seen algae scrubbers there.

Back