Help with rock cycling

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

So after years of drooling over reef tanks I have finally decided to setup a reef tank. With having kids and job it will be challenging. So for now I am going with FOWLR with full intention of turning this into a reef tank. (Fishes will keep the kids happy and that will make the mom happy).

So I have gotten myself a 40b (that's all the space I was approved for) and I am thinking about getting 30 pounds of reef saver rock and 10 lbs of tonga shelf rock.

Now my question is, do I just wash these rock in RO water and let them cycle in the tank? I know pukani leeches phosphate a lot. That's why i am going with reef saver rock. I can't find much information on tonga plates. I am going to be very patient and take it slow. So I was thinking about doing a bleach bath and using something like Seaklear for 3-4 weeks to cure the rock. After the treatment i was going to put it in the tank and let the cycle begin with ghost feeding and Bio Spira.

Do I need to do that for tonga plates? I know reef saver should be fine but not too sure on the tonga. Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time song setting up a tank so any tips on curing process would be welcome.

Btw sorry if this question had been asked before. I tried searching couldn't find anything very specific.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best results I've gotten has been with "cooking" my rock for several weeks before adding to my tank.
This allows the rock time to leach whatever it's going to, outside the tank. Also allows some die off outside the tank.
I've never used bleach, acid or the like.
A large rubbermaid tub with tight fitting lid, a good power head, a big bag of carbon. Cover it all in saltwater at 1.026. Let cook for 2-3wks, doing 1 water change.
Then added to my tank, dosed BioSpira per directions. Tank was cycled within 2wks.
I've used this method on Dry Pukani and Reef Saver rock 3x in the last 6yrs. I've never had Hair Algae and my cycle time went quickly.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You normally would cure live rock separately to prevent a die off of live sponges etc. in a separate container. For phosphates you can cycle in the tank just keep checking for a rise in phosphates. If they rise change water or use a phosphate remover such as gfo. If rock is so doubtful that you have to cook it for a month I wouldn't consider it for the tank to begin with.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to do anything with the reef saver except rinse it and put it in your tank. That is mined from an ancient reef and has no organic matter at all. The reason dry Pukani leaches phosphate is because they have dead organic matter deep within them. Most people either don't bother removing it or can't get to it.
The Tonga shelf may need to be cured a little. Just depends on the source and if there's any organic matter in/on it.
However, if this is a new tank and you're doing the initial cycle, you could easily cure 10 lbs of Tonga right along with your reef saver in the tank.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to do anything with the reef saver except rinse it and put it in your tank. That is mined from an ancient reef and has no organic matter at all. The reason dry Pukani leaches phosphate is because they have dead organic matter deep within them. Most people either don't bother removing it or can't get to it.
The Tonga shelf may need to be cured a little. Just depends on the source and if there's any organic matter in/on it.
However, if this is a new tank and you're doing the initial cycle, you could easily cure 10 lbs of Tonga right along with your reef saver in the tank.

Thank you. This is a brand new tank. So should I at least give a bleach bath to the tonga? And then just rinse it off RO water.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You normally would cure live rock separately to prevent a die off of live sponges etc. in a separate container. For phosphates you can cycle in the tank just keep checking for a rise in phosphates. If they rise change water or use a phosphate remover such as gfo. If rock is so doubtful that you have to cook it for a month I wouldn't consider it for the tank to begin with.

I am thinking about BRS reef saver rock and tonga plates.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back