help with rodi

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had an algae contamination in my filters, went out of town the door to system got open somehow, sunlight. I have a 7 stage brs system, ran bleach (1 tblsp) through entire system for 2 hours, replaced all filters. Flushed system for about an hour and line l on meter was showing 4 to 6 tds lines 2 and 3 =0. Problem is output water into the holding tank is unreal slow, am using a booster pump and it is at 83 psi. have checked all connections and no binds anywhere. When I flush it the water is strong as a garden hose. The output when going into the holding tank will sometimes stop altogether.. Water is well water source. Thanks for any help

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had an algae contamination in my filters, went out of town the door to system got open somehow, sunlight. I have a 7 stage brs system, ran bleach (1 tblsp) through entire system for 2 hours, replaced all filters. Flushed system for about an hour and line l on meter was showing 4 to 6 tds lines 2 and 3 =0. Problem is output water into the holding tank is unreal slow, am using a booster pump and it is at 83 psi. have checked all connections and no binds anywhere. When I flush it the water is strong as a garden hose. The output when going into the holding tank will sometimes stop altogether.. Water is well water source. Thanks for any help
Did you replace the RO membrane?

Chlorine will destroy it.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And have you removed the flush valve from the system to see if your problems persist?

IMO a flush valve is a wasteful device and you should think about installing a 3 way DI bypass valve.

The flush valve really doesnt do much to the inlet side of the membrane and you still run into the issue of tds creep on the effluent side.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bleach safe going through the membrane? Try removing the membrane then testing, see if the flow increases. Have you tried changing/removing the flow restritor? If the flow increases with the flow restritor removed, buy a new one.

If that doesn’t work, I would think it’s either a blockage somewhere, try removing one component at a time , seeing if that improves the flow, or you have put the system back together incorrectly, double check each component, don’t assume a part you think is fitted correctly is, it is probably that part that is the reason for the restricted flow.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And have you removed the flush valve from the system to see if your problems persist?

IMO a flush valve is a wasteful device and you should think about installing a 3 way DI bypass valve.

The flush valve really doesnt do much to the inlet side of the membrane and you still run into the issue of tds creep on the effluent side.
Flush valves can prolong the life of membrane. The problem is you’re running it through/using up your cartridges while doing it. Teeing into the membrane and bypassing the cartridges before, and di resin after would be the best solution. But that’s kind of a different topic and don’t want to derail the thread for op

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all filters and ro membrane replaced. Ran the chlorine through it with no filters in place. Flush valve is a ball **** style valve. Have checked everything for blockage (except the inside of the booster pump, but felt that would be a stretch if it was clogged.)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flush valves can prolong the life of membrane. The problem is you’re running it through/using up your cartridges while doing it. Teeing into the membrane and bypassing the cartridges before, and di resin after would be the best solution. But that’s kind of a different topic and don’t want to derail the thread for op
The thread is about getting the op’s system running better, so not really off topic and a bit unfair to post a comment then to suggest no one to come back on it as it’s “off topic”…the carbon and sediment filters are good for many thousands of gallons of water, so not sure flushing would have much impact of their longevity, also not running the water through these before flushing would risk particles from the unfiltered water causing undue wear on your membrane, therefore doing exactly the thing you are trying to prevent , you also risk damage to your water booster if one is being used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you replace the RO membrane?

Chlorine will destroy it.
all filters and ro membrane replaced. Ran the chlorine through it with no filters in place. Flush valve is a ball **** style valve. Have checked everything for blockage (except the inside of the booster pump, but felt that would be a stretch if it was clogged.)

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your booster? It’s meant to be after your carbon and before your membrane, if not it could well be blocked.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bleach safe going through the membrane? Try removing the membrane then testing, see if the flow increases. Have you tried changing/removing the flow restritor? If the flow increases with the flow restritor removed, buy a new one.

If that doesn’t work, I would think it’s either a blockage somewhere, try removing one component at a time , seeing if that improves the flow, or you have put the system back together incorrectly, double check each component, don’t assume a part you think is fitted correctly is, it is probably that part that is the reason for the restricted flow.
Agreed. I would pull the flow restrictor and see if theres maybe some sediment stuck in the tiny oriface.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would double check compatibility (size) of flow restricter / membrane, and change the auto shut off, if you haven’t, then see what you got
Your booster pump is going straight into rodi input, yes?

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back