Help with selecting my next tank!

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my next tank and wanted to get some community input on tank choice and lighting. A few parameters I am working with:
- AIO
- Between 20 - 40 gallons.
- Rimeless aesthetic / no petco breeder style
- No cubes (already had one)
- Not planning for SPS
- Ideally only a single LED
- Ideally comes with a matching stand

Currently considering:
- IM Nuvo pro 20
- IM Nuvo pro lagoon 25
- IM Nuvo peninsula 20
- IM Nuvo 30L
- Waterbox peninsula mini 25
- Waterbox AIO 35.2
- Fiji cube 20 peninsula
- Fiji cube 38 peninsula
- Fiji cube 32

Going off volume and aesthetic, the 38 peninsula seems cool

Lighting seems straightforward if I just go with an AI prime 16 or two.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know all tank models but I individually googled your considerations and have to second the 38 Peninsula. That would look so clean if done right. Start a build thread when you pick one!

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Fiji 38 Peninsula, personally like it and can answer any questions about it.

If you do want to keep corals, you'll need 2 AI Prime 16s (or a different, longer light) for the Fiji 38 as one won't be enough coverage. Their stand is ok, but in my opinion I would suggest you go with a different stand or custom one. Same for WaterBox as the stands are very similar.

I do hear people really like the IM tanks too, always read positive things about them.

Realize I probably didn't help much lol....guess it really comes down to the stand/tank footprint of where you want to put it, and which measurements would work best for that space?

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know which tank to upgrade to I currently have a 136 gal and want to go bigger the 2 I have narrowed it down to are the red sea REEFER™ 3XL 900 and the red sea REEFER-S 1000 I would love to see photos of both empty from the top also if any one knows where I can order either from in Canada every place I contact don't sell either or if they do they don't ship

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Fiji 38 Peninsula, personally like it and can answer any questions about it.

If you do want to keep corals, you'll need 2 AI Prime 16s (or a different, longer light) for the Fiji 38 as one won't be enough coverage. Their stand is ok, but in my opinion I would suggest you go with a different stand or custom one. Same for WaterBox as the stands are very similar.

I do hear people really like the IM tanks too, always read positive things about them.

Realize I probably didn't help much lol....guess it really comes down to the stand/tank footprint of where you want to put it, and which measurements would work best for that space?
Thanks for the input. I have some questions about the fiji 38 peninsula:

How are you mounting your lights / what are you using? I personally don't want to mount them on the clear glass. Looking into hanging them or building some type of floating arm. Was considering 2 AI primes or a reefbreeders photon

What equipment are you running in your AIO chambers? I noticed intank doesnt make specific media baskets for this tank.

Can you elaborate on the stand? I was under the impression they use plywood and it seemed 'sturdy'.

Would love to see some pics of your tank if its not too much to ask!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my next tank and wanted to get some community input on tank choice and lighting. A few parameters I am working with:
- AIO
- Between 20 - 40 gallons.
- Rimeless aesthetic / no petco breeder style
- No cubes (already had one)
- Not planning for SPS
- Ideally only a single LED
- Ideally comes with a matching stand

Currently considering:
- IM Nuvo pro 20
- IM Nuvo pro lagoon 25
- IM Nuvo peninsula 20
- IM Nuvo 30L
- Waterbox AIO 35.2
- Fiji cube 20 peninsula
- Fiji cube 38 peninsula
- Fiji cube 32

Going off volume and aesthetic, the 38 peninsula seems cool

Lighting seems straightforward if I just go with an AI prime 16 or two.

I see someone off your list you should consider!

@Tenecor Aquariums makes some AIO tanks and could hook you up with a custom setup!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats awesome. I will check em out!

The tanks are all made to order so if you want the overflow centered to the right or left they will do that. Same with backing it can be black or blue

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the consideration list:

Currently considering:
- IM Nuvo pro 20
- IM Nuvo pro lagoon 25
- IM Nuvo peninsula 20
- IM Nuvo 30L

- Waterbox AIO 35.2
- Fiji cube 20 peninsula

- Fiji cube 38 peninsula
- Fiji cube 32

New additions
- IM nuvo pro lagoon 50
- Waterbox AIO 50.3

After pricing out builds and thinking about my goals, i've been able to streamline the list and add two larger systems for consideration. The two 50 AIO options are the biggest I could go given the space I am working with. Additionally, the IM 50 lagoon is a screaming deal due to cost savings from included equipment and you get a $200 credit when purchasing direct from innovative marine and comes out roughly the same all in cost as the fiji 38. I also like the APS stands they offer. My concern is that the footprint, while cool, might be a little awkward in my 10'x10' office. This makes the Waterbox 50.3 slightly more ideal since it has a more 'standard' footprint. Can also go for the peninsula variant for $50 more.

Going back to my goals, I think its worth mentioning that I want to consider how future-proof this purchase is and would like to get a build going that can last 1-2 weeks on autopilot. My previous system was a Red Sea Reefer Nano and I was able to leave that thing alone when I was out of town. However, I do think more volume can help me achieve a higher level of success assuming I get a suitable ATO reservoir.

Future-proofing really considers the now the ever-present factor of cost creeping to the forefront. Larger systems = larger price tag, but I dont really see myself ever going bigger than 50 gallons. This translates to if I buy my 'ideal' option, I wont have any un-scratched itches regarding getting a bigger system and gives me a platform to build on for years to come all while keep 10% water changes capped to one bucket aka 5 gallons ;)

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently considering:
- IM Nuvo pro 20
- IM Nuvo pro lagoon 25
- IM Nuvo peninsula 20
- IM Nuvo 30L

- Waterbox AIO 35.2
- Fiji cube 20 peninsula

- Fiji cube 38 peninsula
- Fiji cube 32

New additions
- IM nuvo pro lagoon 50
- Waterbox AIO 50.3

After pricing out builds and thinking about my goals, i've been able to streamline the list and add two larger systems for consideration. The two 50 AIO options are the biggest I could go given the space I am working with. Additionally, the IM 50 lagoon is a screaming deal due to cost savings from included equipment and you get a $200 credit when purchasing direct from innovative marine and comes out roughly the same all in cost as the fiji 38. I also like the APS stands they offer. My concern is that the footprint, while cool, might be a little awkward in my 10'x10' office. This makes the Waterbox 50.3 slightly more ideal since it has a more 'standard' footprint. Can also go for the peninsula variant for $50 more.

Going back to my goals, I think its worth mentioning that I want to consider how future-proof this purchase is and would like to get a build going that can last 1-2 weeks on autopilot. My previous system was a Red Sea Reefer Nano and I was able to leave that thing alone when I was out of town. However, I do think more volume can help me achieve a higher level of success assuming I get a suitable ATO reservoir.

Future-proofing really considers the now the ever-present factor of cost creeping to the forefront. Larger systems = larger price tag, but I dont really see myself ever going bigger than 50 gallons. This translates to if I buy my 'ideal' option, I wont have any un-scratched itches regarding getting a bigger system and gives me a platform to build on for years to come all while keep 10% water changes capped to one bucket aka 5 gallons ;)
Not necessarily, a nano with a tight lid and a decent ATO will stay just as stable as a larger system, especially if you’re concentrating on LPS. Find a lid with a little more solid area than pure mesh. I just happened by a YouTube video from the Reef Breeders channel and he was giving a two year update on a Red Sea reefer 20 that he setup in one day. His ato literally lasts a month, he has a reefled 50 over it and it’s been the simple stuff nicest setup I’ve seen in a while.

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, a nano with a tight lid and a decent ATO will stay just as stable as a larger system, especially if you’re concentrating on LPS. Find a lid with a little more solid area than pure mesh. I just happened by a YouTube video from the Reef Breeders channel and he was giving a two year update on a Red Sea reefer 20 that he setup in one day. His ato literally lasts a month, he has a reefled 50 over it and it’s been the simple stuff nicest setup I’ve seen in a while.
Thats a good point, thanks for the reminder. Suppose I could just get a piece of glass from home depot to cover the tank. Maybe have a little cut out for an auto feeder.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good point, thanks for the reminder. Suppose I could just get a piece of glass from home depot to cover the tank. Maybe have a little cut out for an auto feeder.

There are also plenty of custom lid manufacturers on here as well.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have some questions about the fiji 38 peninsula:

How are you mounting your lights / what are you using? I personally don't want to mount them on the clear glass. Looking into hanging them or building some type of floating arm. Was considering 2 AI primes or a reefbreeders photon

What equipment are you running in your AIO chambers? I noticed intank doesnt make specific media baskets for this tank.

Can you elaborate on the stand? I was under the impression they use plywood and it seemed 'sturdy'.

Would love to see some pics of your tank if its not too much to ask!
Picking the right tank is tough!! But it looks like you are narrowing the list nicely! Kudos on the diligence.

To answer your questions:
I'm using 2 AI Prime 16's on my tank, mounted with the flexible arms (an old pic I found is attached).

I have the Fiji acrylic media tower in one chamber, a Tunze 9004 skimmer in the center, and my heater, ATO and return pump in the last output chamber. I did swap out the Fiji stock pump for a Sicce, but can't recall which model number.

The stand is plywood but I did feel the need to reinforce it with additional corner brackets where the boards are connected (my nerves to make it feel sturdier given I live in an apartment). Assembly was a pain to get it all to fit together and even. Also, like the RedSea, Waterbox and possibly other stands, there is a slight overhang of the tank off the edges. I was assured this is normal and safe, but felt the need to put a piece of 1/4" plywood on top just to ease my nerves.

Attachments

• tank.png
    tank.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking the right tank is tough!! But it looks like you are narrowing the list nicely! Kudos on the diligence.

To answer your questions:
I'm using 2 AI Prime 16's on my tank, mounted with the flexible arms (an old pic I found is attached).

I have the Fiji acrylic media tower in one chamber, a Tunze 9004 skimmer in the center, and my heater, ATO and return pump in the last output chamber. I did swap out the Fiji stock pump for a Sicce, but can't recall which model number.

The stand is plywood but I did feel the need to reinforce it with additional corner brackets where the boards are connected (my nerves to make it feel sturdier given I live in an apartment). Assembly was a pain to get it all to fit together and even. Also, like the RedSea, Waterbox and possibly other stands, there is a slight overhang of the tank off the edges. I was assured this is normal and safe, but felt the need to put a piece of 1/4" plywood on top just to ease my nerves.
Nice! Cool scape. The dimensions of this tank are just great. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently considering:
- IM Nuvo pro 20
- IM Nuvo pro lagoon 25
- IM Nuvo peninsula 20

- IM Nuvo 30L
- Waterbox AIO 35.2
- Fiji cube 20 peninsula
- Fiji cube 38 peninsula
- Fiji cube 32
- IM nuvo pro lagoon 50

- Waterbox AIO 50.3

New list:
  • IM Fusion pro2 AIO: 20
  • IM Fusion pro2 AIO: 30l
  • Waterbox AIO 35.2
  • Waterbox AIO 50.3
Definitely getting closer to a decision here! My updated thinking has led me to eliminate the lagoon tanks. As cool as they are they just don’t work in my office. Fiji 38 peninsula is cut because of no matching stand and I won’t be able to use it as a room divider. Waterbox mini peninsula 25 is a super cool tank but they discontinued the stand which is a bummer.
I reconsidered a few options here.

The IM fusion pro2 20 appeals to me for being super basic and affordable

The IM fusion pro2 30 appeals to me for being a long tank. Lots of swimming space and aquascapping options. The drawback here is I’ll definitely need two LEDs which drives up cost

Waterbox AIO 35.3 is cube-like but not quite a full cube. I didnt want a full cube originally because I’ve already had two of them. It’s more like a stubby rectangle. It also has a good amount of water volume and can be lit with a single LED.

the only negatives I see with the Waterbox AIO 50.3 is cost and scale. Would be most expensive all around. However, this is a future proof option. I don’t see myself wanting to go bigger.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back