Help with sick fish

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week we have had a naso tang jump from the tank, 4 fish die(3 clownfish, i damsel), the remaining clownfish is swimming in one spot, the kole tang has a spot on face and a growth on mouth and the sleeper goby looks terrible. This tank has been going for over 10 years and we have had it about 6

weeks.
We first started to treat for ich and then was advised to treat with focus and sulfaplex.
Anyone have any insight or additional advice?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank was broken down and transferred to you 6 weeks ago? What are all the current parameters including ammonia? Did you add new sand or rock?

OP
OP
K

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am not sure of the actual parameters, but it has been tested and everything is within normal ranges. We have not added any new sand or a new rock. We did add two new fish.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am not sure of the actual parameters, but it has been tested and everything is within normal ranges. We have not added any new sand or a new rock. We did add two new fish.
Vids don't work. What fish did you add? Were they medicinally QT prior? You really need to have quality test kits in this hobby so you are always aware of your tank conditions especially when a serious event develops.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In the last week we have had a naso tang jump from the tank, 4 fish die(3 clownfish, i damsel), the remaining clownfish is swimming in one spot, the kole tang has a spot on face and a growth on mouth and the sleeper goby looks terrible. This tank has been going for over 10 years and we have had it about 6

weeks.
We first started to treat for ich and then was advised to treat with focus and sulfaplex.
Anyone have any insight or additional advice?
Focus is a binder and sulfaplex would have not helped with ich. You will want to treat with coppersafe or at minimum general cure with added oxygen and monitoring water quality. Need more behavioral info such as:
Is ich still present?
Fish breathing normal or labored?
Fish still eating?
Fish hiding and lethargic behavior?

Fish and camera moving too much to tell

OP
OP
K

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids don't work. What fish did you add? Were they medicinally QT prior? You really need to have quality test kits in this hobby so you are always aware of your tank conditions especially when a serious event develops.
The sleeper goby, and a blue sided fairy wrasse was added. The rest is the newest fish, but he has been in there for at least two weeks. They were both quarantined at fish store but not with us. We just recently got a 29 gallon to use as a quarantine tank in the future. We use fluval testing for ammonia nitrate and ph. We did have a salinity spike about two weeks ago, but it is back to normal after a small water change a week ago.

OP
OP
K

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sleeper goby, and a blue sided fairy wrasse was added. The rest is the newest fish, but he has been in there for at least two weeks. They were both quarantined at fish store but not with us. We just recently got a 29 gallon to use as a quarantine tank in the future. We use fluval testing for ammonia nitrate and ph. We did have a salinity spike about two weeks ago, but it is back to normal after a small water change a week ago.
1BFA37F0-A10A-484B-9329-5D75AC223049.jpeg
96C62CD2-C093-4B6E-8258-F8E56558E784.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus is a binder and sulfaplex would have not helped with ich. You will want to treat with coppersafe or at minimum general cure with added oxygen and monitoring water quality. Need more behavioral info such as:
Is ich still present?
Fish breathing normal or labored?
Fish still eating?
Fish hiding and lethargic behavior?

Fish and camera moving too much to tell
The goby and clown fish are acting lethargic. The file fish had some white bright spots like ich but I also know if they can have weird colorations sometimes. The Gobi has a cloudy eye, and it looks to be some white spots on the face.
6C5999D2-68CB-49C3-BF28-0B75F151D6C3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The goby and clown fish are acting lethargic. The file fish had some white bright spots like ich but I also know if they can have weird colorations sometimes. The Gobi has a cloudy eye, and it looks to be some white spots on the face.
6C5999D2-68CB-49C3-BF28-0B75F151D6C3.jpeg
May be flukes or ich, but hard to tell on goby which is hiding. If increased labor, move to sterile quarantine tank with added aeration via air stone and treat with general cure as gobies can respond poorly to copper. Treat for 30 days and then treat with Prazi Pro afterwards placing these guys in a quarantine regimen.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't really know your complete current numbers, I would do at least a 30% water change in case a contaminant got in there or your balance is off.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back