Help with sick Goldflake Angels please

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I purchased two Goldflake Angels. They came from Biota and are about 3". I set up a 40g observation tank for them.

I am wanting to attempt to keep multiple Goldflakes in my 800g. I have another one already that is smaller and doing great. He is in another tank.

I tried to acclimate them in the same 5g bucket and one was picking on the other, so I put a divider in the bucket.

I put them together in the 40g and they didn't fight. Within two days they we both eating well. After 5 days they were chasing each other, but nothing serious.

When I saw them this morning they had discoloration (spots on the sides) and their fins were frayed a bit more. They were both also breathing rapidly. They were not swimming at the top of the tank. And when I turned off the light to the tank they began to fight more. I suspect they were fighting last night. So I put a divider in the tank although I hate that they now have so little space. They are still both eating well.

We checked all the parameters and everything was good but the PH was a bit low. 7.6 - 7.8 which was confusing to me because the water was only a week old and we had even done a 25% water change yesterday. So we were confused why the PH had dropped. The ammonia is 0. We have slight nitrites .25. We used biomedia from another tank to seed the tank.

I doubled checked the PH in our salt water containers and it is perfect. The salinity is also perfect. So again I didn't know how the PH could drop so much. They only thing in the tank is some dry Marco rock. We have an oversized Hob filter that seems to run enough water over the surface for oxygen but we did add an air stone today just in case.

When the angels were together they were darting a lot, but most of it seemed to be posturing toward one another. Since I put the divider in the tank, they are not darting anymore. They are just stressed from being more confined. They were never flashing.

I am unsure if I am fighting something bacterial or something from the low PH or if it was just the stress of their fighting/sparing. It is interesting because most times when I deal with fighting, there is a dominant fish and a victim. With these two fish, they seemed to go after each other. They were almost always swimming together. Neither was prepared to back down. And it is weird because they both have the discoloration, the dark spots and were both breathing rapidly.

I have a picture of one and I apologize for the poor quality but you can see the spots on the side and the lack of vibrant color. I would appreciate any thoughts on what I am dealing with and a game plan going forward.

tempImagevhJSG5.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issues are having two angels in a 40-gallon observation tank. I'd put them in separate tanks until you're ready to introduce them to the monster. There should be enough space there to quickly resolve any differences.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issues are having two angels in a 40-gallon observation tank. I'd put them in separate tanks until you're ready to introduce them to the monster. There should be enough space there to quickly resolve any differences.
Thanks. They are doing better separated. Will continue to keep an eye on and not let them back together until they go into the big tanks with lots of room!

Upvote 0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back