Help with something bothering my zoas (hydroids?)

hzy422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - I think I have something (maybe hydroids?) bothering my Zoas. Wondering if anyone could help with an ID and plan of attack? Parameters in the tank are good. This particular colony has been in the tank for about 3 months. The problem popped up this week. There is one other colony of a different type that has the same issue. There are 2 others that are just fine. All other corals are doing fine. Tank is several years old but I mostly rebooted it about 6 months ago to clear out a GSP / RBTA takeover that I got lazy with!

Thanks for any help!

This picture is a bit of a zoom out of the issue - I think the problem is the stalky type thing with the blue/translucent heads.

20220101_202429[1].jpg

Here's the best I could do for a zoom in -

20220101_202454[1].jpg

And just for fun, the colony about a week ago.

20211128_205601[1].jpg

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like hydroids to me too. I had a problem with them and started dosing my tank with h2o2 daily for something else. When I just saw this post I realized that they have been gone for some time now. I think the h2o2 is probably why. It's worth a try. I dose 1.5 ml h2o2 per 10 gallons daily to kill off some dino's I have been dealing with. You can also pull most or all of them off with tweezers for now, but they may just come back.

OP
OP
H

hzy422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was able to remove one group that was still on a plug. I tried a h2o2 dip and will see how that works. If it does I'll try dosing the tank.

Those look like hydroids to me too. I had a problem with them and started dosing my tank with h2o2 daily for something else. When I just saw this post I realized that they have been gone for some time now. I think the h2o2 is probably why. It's worth a try. I dose 1.5 ml h2o2 per 10 gallons daily to kill off some dino's I have been dealing with. You can also pull most or all of them off with tweezers for now, but they may just come back.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these when bought some gsp and did nothing and seen them for about a month after and not seen Any in last 7 months or so now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back