Help with starting BRS 2-part dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium sulfate (if that is part of the recipe you are using) cannot be mixed into either alkalinity or calcium supplement, hence the need for a third part.

If you are using one of my recipes (such as from BRS, which provides the baking soda already baked)), then there is a fixed ratio of dosing the magnesium part relative to the other parts (610 mL for each gallon of the alk part):

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

fron it:

Recipe #1, Part 3A

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy I am using recipe 1 an I will be mixing up part 3 tonight sometime tonight. So I'll do the math on 610ml and see what I come up with and go from there. Thanks again for sharing you knowledge with us.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, this is a 3-4 month old 225g tank with a small (40g) sump. Say....235g water volume.

I use about 8 scoops of salt per week so I reckon I'm changing about
16gallons or 7% each week.

However what's giving me headaches is that I'm trying out different salt brands, have just started dosing and even discovered my reagent was bad om my Hanna alk test recently.

All the variables are causing me to have to test often.

Last night I decided to stop doing water changes, figure out my baseline usage and then restart the water changes and see if I can somehow quantify the difference in order to come up with the appropriate dosing schedule.

I've been testing my mixed make up water for water changes, vie noticed that I Reef Crystals fluctuates on PH Alk and Cal vie tested as low as 180 on Cal using RO/ DI water so I adjust it with bicarb and Calcium Chloride to the proper parameters. I did a 10 gallon water change the other day an made so RO/ DI water to mix up more saltwater. Before I did this I did some Googling an I ran across a thread on a different forum where some customer service reps from Dr's Fosters and Smith had replied to the thread and talked to a few people via email and phone, towards the end of the thread they had mixed some up and contacted a rep from Instant ocean. They're rep said that for Ref Crystals to get the proper levels Alk mg and calcium levels you must mix the whole container or bag of salt IE: 10 gallon bag in one mix a 50 gallon bag to 50 gallons of water. Mixing by the scoop to gallon ratio leads to fluctuation

Here is the thread hope this helps
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265348

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, this is a 3-4 month old 225g tank with a small (40g) sump. Say....235g water volume.

I use about 8 scoops of salt per week so I reckon I'm changing about
16gallons or 7% each week.

However what's giving me headaches is that I'm trying out different salt brands, have just started dosing and even discovered my reagent was bad om my Hanna alk test recently.

All the variables are causing me to have to test often.

Last night I decided to stop doing water changes, figure out my baseline usage and then restart the water changes and see if I can somehow quantify the difference in order to come up with the appropriate dosing schedule.

I've been testing my mixed make up water for water changes, vie noticed that I Reef Crystals fluctuates on PH Alk and Cal vie tested as low as 180 on Cal using RO/ DI water so I adjust it with bicarb and Calcium Chloride to the proper parameters. I did a 10 gallon water change the other day an made so RO/ DI water to mix up more saltwater. Before I did this I did some Googling an I ran across a thread on a different forum where some customer service reps from Dr's Fosters and Smith had replied to the thread and talked to a few people via email and phone, towards the end of the thread they had mixed some up and contacted a rep from Instant ocean. They're rep said that for Reef Crystals to get the proper levels Alk mag and calcium levels you must mix the whole container or bag of salt IE: 10 gallon bag in one mix a 50 gallon bag to 50 gallons of water. Mixing by the scoop to gallon ratio leads to fluctuation

Hope this helps thread below.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forms/showthread.php?t=1265348

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing my mixed make up water for water changes, vie noticed that I Reef Crystals fluctuates on PH Alk and Cal vie tested as low as 180 on Cal using RO/ DI water so I adjust it with bicarb and Calcium Chloride to the proper parameters. I did a 10 gallon water change the other day an made so RO/ DI water to mix up more saltwater. Before I did this I did some Googling an I ran across a thread on a different forum where some customer service reps from Dr's Fosters and Smith had replied to the thread and talked to a few people via email and phone, towards the end of the thread they had mixed some up and contacted a rep from Instant ocean. They're rep said that for Reef Crystals to get the proper levels Alk mag and calcium levels you must mix the whole container or bag of salt IE: 10 gallon bag in one mix a 50 gallon bag to 50 gallons of water. Mixing by the scoop to gallon ratio leads to fluctuation

Hope this helps thread below.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forms/showthread.php?t=1265348
Thats not feasible when you have a bucket of salt. I mix to 34/35 ppt.

This is an older thread. Now that my tank is heading well towards its 3rd year, i have stopped micro managing the levels to that degree and only test alk once a week and Ca about every 2 weeks and make smaller dosing corrections over longer periods of time.

Switching to continuous water changes eliminated any issues with sudden swings.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great I have been out of the reef hobby for about ten years now, so I've been doing a lot of brushing up we have three going right now. My main display has only been up two months now an I just started dosing Randy's two part, I know it is an older thread but it has been a big help on getting the tank stable. I figured I'd share what I found. Because it still seems to be an ongoing issue with small batches of water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back