Help with Sump.

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hope someone can help me to see how this sump would be set up. Where would the return and skimmer be positioned. Thanks in Advance!!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures.

20180812_182349_Film3.jpg

20180812_182402_Film3.jpg

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle section could be used as a refugium or for your protein skimmer. The 2 inch separation between your second and third chamber could be used with a bubble trap to decimate all the bubbles before they go into the third chamber and into the return pump ( if you’re using the second chamber for a protein skimmer). If you are using the second chamber as a refugium you can stick your protein skimmer and your return pump in the third chamber.

One of The pipes in your filter sock chamber should be used for an emergency overflow.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle section could be used as a refugium or for your protein skimmer. The 2 inch separation between your second and third chamber could be used with a bubble trap to decimate all the bubbles before they go into the third chamber and into the return pump ( if you’re using the second chamber for a protein skimmer). If you are using the second chamber as a refugium you can stick your protein skimmer and your return pump in the third chamber.

One of The pipes in your filter sock chamber should be used for an emergency overflow.

Good luck!
What do you mean by an emergency overflow??

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by an emergency overflow??

An emergency overflow is used in the event your main drain gets clogged. If your main drain gets clogged (going into the sump) your return pump will continue to blow all of the water from the sump back into your tank and overflow the tank onto your floor. An emergency drain is used for this reason exactly and it should not be used as your primary drain. In essence, it is your back up drain in the event your main drain fails

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An emergency overflow is used in the event your main drain gets clogged. If your main drain gets clogged (going into the sump) your return pump will continue to blow all of the water from the sump back into your tank and overflow the tank onto your floor. An emergency drain is used for this reason exactly and it should not be used as your primary drain. In essence, it is your back up drain in the event your main drain fails
So, would it start automatically or would it only work when I'm home? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm new to sumps and saltwater in general.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would it start automatically or would it only work when I'm home? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm new to sumps and saltwater in general.

Well you came to the right place if you are new! There are tons of people on here that know a whole lot more than I do.

Yes the emergency overflow would simply drain the water from your tank into the sump in the event the tank started overflowing. Is nothing more than a failsafe precaution To prevent a flood. The water running from your fish tank to your sump is gravity fed. It never stops flowing unless you install a ball valve or something of the sort, from the pipe running from your tank to you sump. Think about it this way. If you close off that valve and the water stops flowing from the tank into your sump, but the return pump continues to pump all of the water out of your sump into your tank, the tank would overflow. The emergency drain is used for this reason exactly. To put it into even better perspective, the emergency drain is the same idea as that extra hole at the top of your bathroom sink in order to prevent the sink from overflowing

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you came to the right place if you are new! There are tons of people on here that know a whole lot more than I do.

Yes the emergency overflow would simply drain the water from your tank into the sump in the event the tank started overflowing. Is nothing more than a failsafe precaution To prevent a flood. The water running from your fish tank to your sump is gravity fed. It never stops flowing unless you install a ball valve or something of the sort, from the pipe running from your tank to you sump. Think about it this way. If you close off that valve and the water stops flowing from the tank into your sump, but the return pump continues to pump all of the water out of your sump into your tank, the tank would overflow. The emergency drain is used for this reason exactly. To put it into even better perspective, the emergency drain is the same idea as that extra hole at the top of your bathroom sink in order to prevent the sink from overflowing
Would it work with HOB overflows? That is currently my only option as I can't drill the tank.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same brand on my 75G skimmerless. Thats an aqueon proflex sump - youtube it and you'll get all the configurations. Before being used on this skimmerless setup I had it w/ a refugium and used an external protein skimmer b/c I had the space.

I've always used it w/ HOB overflow boxes. I like to use the CPR + an aqualifter pump to keep the siphon true.

20180812_194745.jpg
20180812_194721.jpg
20180812_194745.jpg

20180812_194716.jpg

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably need to put the skimmer in the middle section and the return pump in the section to the right. The skimmer needs to be in a section that doesn't fluctuate much, which the low side or right side will most likely do unless you have an auto top that keeps it the same level at all times. Unfortunately this does allow any room for a refuge. I did mine this way & have a remote refuge.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it work with HOB overflows? That is currently my only option as I can't drill the tank.

Definitely.
I would highly recommend you reach out to BRS, Marine D, or any other reputable company to be sure you get the proper size for your tank. You will probably be advised to get an Aqualifter along with it to keep the HOB overflow continuously primed.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer needs to be in a section that doesn't fluctuate much, which the low side or right side will most likely do unless you have an auto top that keeps it the same level at all times. Unfortunately this does allow any room for a refuge. I did mine this way & have a remote refuge.

Aye, what Mr. Falcon says, or get an external skimmer.

I recommend external b/c most of the time they can also be used internally (if you get a different configured sump). All provided you have the space under the tank though. Theres soooo much gear under the hood you can add.

Proflex is the sump I learned w/ because it does have multiple configurations you an test and play with to learn about all the sump madness :).

Also, welcome to R2R! Welcome to the hobby!!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same brand on my 75G skimmerless. Thats an aqueon proflex sump - youtube it and you'll get all the configurations. Before being used on this skimmerless setup I had it w/ a refugium and used an external protein skimmer b/c I had the space.

I've always used it w/ HOB overflow boxes. I like to use the CPR + an aqualifter pump to keep the siphon true.

20180812_194745.jpg
20180812_194721.jpg
20180812_194745.jpg

20180812_194716.jpg
Thanks for identifying it!!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably need to put the skimmer in the middle section and the return pump in the section to the right. The skimmer needs to be in a section that doesn't fluctuate much, which the low side or right side will most likely do unless you have an auto top that keeps it the same level at all times. Unfortunately this does allow any room for a refuge. I did mine this way & have a remote refuge.
Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely.
I would highly recommend you reach out to BRS, Marine D, or any other reputable company to be sure you get the proper size for your tank. You will probably be advised to get an Aqualifter along with it to keep the HOB overflow continuously primed.
I already have a two eshop overflow boxes, came with the sump with another tank. That tank was 125g the one I'm setting up for saltwater is 75g would I still be able to use them? One is smaller than the other.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, what Mr. Falcon says, or get an external skimmer.

I recommend external b/c most of the time they can also be used internally (if you get a different configured sump). All provided you have the space under the tank though. Theres soooo much gear under the hood you can add.

Proflex is the sump I learned w/ because it does have multiple configurations you an test and play with to learn about all the sump madness :).

Also, welcome to R2R! Welcome to the hobby!!
For the moment I'm going to use an internal skimmer, maybe with time I'll get an external and make a refugiun in there.

Thanks for the welcome!!

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a two eshop overflow boxes, came with the sump with another tank. That tank was 125g the one I'm setting up for saltwater is 75g would I still be able to use them? One is smaller than the other.

Only if it’s rated for your tank size. Remember the overflow needs to be related closely to your return pump GPH (gallons per hour).

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if it’s rated for your tank size. Remember the overflow needs to be related closely to your return pump GPH (gallons per hour).
I'll be using the same pump that was being used with it before, if that helps. I want to take advantage of the stuff that came with the tank the most I can, if its not possible then I'll look into investing in what I need.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back