Help with torch

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first torch 3 weeks ago and it was going great. It is a double head and both head were very full and pretty. This week both head are not expanding and one is very retracted. I’m worried it will die.

Nitrates- 13.1
Alkalinity- 9.0
Phosphates- .79
Calcium- 476
PH- 8.1
Nitrite- 0
Salinity- 34.0
Temp- 77deg

Here is what it looks like now compared to what it did look like. I’m guessing it’s because phosphates are really high and maybe it’s because of feeding pellets

IMG_2185.jpeg IMG_2171.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity low and phosphate is high at first glance. Also no mag test

OP
OP
K

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused on the salinity. Bulk reef supply chart shows 32-35 is good. What is the best way to reduce my phosphates? I don’t have a mag test.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused on the salinity. Bulk reef supply chart shows 32-35 is good. What is the best way to reduce my phosphates? I don’t have a mag test.
Usually want to keep right at 35 for corals. Can use some chemipure elite or other gfo to help on phosphate. Magnesium can be a big deal with LPS and I'd recommend you test for it.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ways to reduce phosphate depend on how they are getting into your tank. You could feed less or feed better food. Perhaps you water change schedule needs adjusting.

OP
OP
K

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is only a 30 gallon tank and I usually change out 5 gallons of water once a week but I missed a week because my back was out. I have frozen foods but stopped feeding it trying to get nitrates down but I read that pellet food is bad for increasing phosphates. Should I go strictly to frozen foods?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates aren’t completely of the rails it’s your phosphates that are elevated. Do a bit more on your water changes and start feeding less. Aqua forest has a decent mag test and salifert seems effective for many.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I bought my first torch 3 weeks ago and it was going great. It is a double head and both head were very full and pretty. This week both head are not expanding and one is very retracted. I’m worried it will die.

Nitrates- 13.1
Alkalinity- 9.0
Phosphates- .79
Calcium- 476
PH- 8.1
Nitrite- 0
Salinity- 34.0
Temp- 77deg

Here is what it looks like now compared to what it did look like. I’m guessing it’s because phosphates are really high and maybe it’s because of feeding pellets

IMG_2185.jpeg IMG_2171.jpeg
Does not look terrible in fact good. I would focus on phosphate. If feeding it reef roids , stop and switch to mysis shrimp which all my euphyllia get for meals

OP
OP
K

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had been feeding reef roids but I stopped for a few weeks. I’ll do water change and go strictly to mysis shrimp. Do I need to thaw and rinse the frozen food before feeding?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that might help a bit. Be sure to keep up on changing filter socks or floss as well.

OP
OP
K

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh bands look good but the one head retracts so much I can see the skeleton on one side a little bit.

OP
OP
K

KBnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water change and it only dropped phosphates from .79 to .72 At that rate this could take a while.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water change and it only dropped phosphates from .79 to .72 At that rate this could take a while.
Water change does not help dropping po4. As you can see, it does reduce it, but not nearly as much as a person would think. This is because it is absorbed by your sandbed and rocks etc. and once it can release again, it'll release what is absorbed. In order to reduce po4 effectively you'd need either something to bind the po4 to, or use live bacteria which consume po4 (which I personally would advice to use).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back