Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank volume (approx): 44g
Stock: low/medium bioload of Softies and LPS
Salt mix: IO original

The only additives I’ve ever used was Tropic Marin. My parameters were where I wanted them when I began dosing AFR. I’ve been doing the initial dose daily and checking parameters daily for a few weeks now.

My alkalinity was originally in the mid 8s, each day it’s been slowly creeping up, and we are now at 9.1 today. Calcium was originally in the upper 300s and today we are at 322.

IMG_0615.jpeg

According to this, if my Alk is rising and Ca is dropping, decrease ARF and dose Ca. I‘be lowered my AFR dose to 4mL daily. I had trouble finding the dosage for calcium, but I believe it’s 30mL/10G. That seems like a lot considering for my tank it’s about 130 ML‘s and the bottle is only 1000mL. Am I going to have to continue dosing calcium daily or am I going to reach a point where it balances out and I can just dose AFR? After all, that’s why I started with them because I just wanted the one additive.

Basically, can someone confirm the calcium dosing (liquid version) and let me know if I’m taking the appropriate steps?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have premade bottles so the dosage is correct @ 30ml /10g = 15ppm ca increase (which is a good daily increase to not upset the balance)

You should stop AFR and continue to dose your 3 parts until you reach your desired calcium alk and mag levels then cease the 3 parts and start dosing AFR at the current daily alk consumption rate.

You will need to periodically check and adjust as needed with the 3 part balling ABC

Also keep an eye on your nutrients. Lots of reports of bottoming out when not paying attention with AFR

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have premade bottles so the dosage is correct @ 30ml /10g = 15ppm ca increase (which is a good daily increase to not upset the balance)

You should stop AFR and continue to dose your 3 parts until you reach your desired calcium alk and mag levels then cease the 3 parts and start dosing AFR at the current daily alk consumption rate.

You will need to periodically check and adjust as needed with the 3 part balling ABC

Also keep an eye on your nutrients. Lots of reports of bottoming out when not paying attention with AFR
True there is a slight carbon dosing impact when using AFR.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did however on occasion in the beginning a few years ago want to raise my calcium and magnesium a bit and skipped the balling method and just dosed brightwell products with no ill effects. I continued my dosing of AFR while supplementing.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my alk is fine like 9dKH and Cal is low, I just stop dosing and use ESV part 2 and just dose it to get it where I want the cal to be. After a day of testing to see where it settled out at and if everything is good I'll continue with AFR with no issues.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing AFR for more than a year. My alk went up to 9.5, calcium is steady at 460 and mag is a little too high at 1600 (because of my own mistakes).

Since 9,5 is considered okay in a reef (8-12 dkh is fine) I decided not to take actions about the alkalinity. When calcium drops (it only happened at the beginning, while I was still trying to find the right dose), I just add ESV calcium and stay with the same AFR dose.

I’ve been dosing 15 ml for a long time now. Everything is stable.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to give advice 8.6 , IO salt is over 11dkh yet you say your alk started at one was lower than that at the start and even when adding AFR your alk is still not 11.5.

I wouldn’t start dosing calcium yet, you need to understand where your tank parameters are at before you start adding stuff, don’t think you are there yet.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to give advice 8.6 , IO salt is over 11dkh yet you say your alk started at one was lower than that at the start and even when adding AFR your alk is still not 11.5.

I wouldn’t start dosing calcium yet, you need to understand where your tank parameters are at before you start adding stuff, don’t think you are there yet.
Even on my fish only tank I use IO and I’ve never had my Alk that high. I never get the parameters the bucket says. My goal Alk on this tank though is between 8-9, especially since the higher my alkalinity is going the faster my calcium is dropping.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside to solving high alkalinity. Could use Seachem Acid Buffer. Converts carbonates to co2 which temporarily lowers pH but that can be mitigated by doing so over the coarse of the day. Not that I consider 9 high but grasp its rising faster than calcium added via the one part solution.

I’d rather do that vs reverting to sodium when not making a WC.

At a minimum. Provides time to better understand why kh is rising or not being consumed at the rate of calcium.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside to solving high alkalinity. Could use Seachem Acid Buffer. Converts carbonates to co2 which temporarily lowers pH but that can be mitigated by doing so over the coarse of the day. Not that I consider 9 high but grasp its rising faster than calcium added via the one part solution.

I’d rather do that vs reverting to sodium when not making a WC.

At a minimum. Provides time to better understand why kh is rising or not being consumed at the rate of calcium.
I really would suggest adding acid buffer to the display.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even on my fish only tank I use IO and I’ve never had my Alk that high. I never get the parameters the bucket says. My goal Alk on this tank though is between 8-9, especially since the higher my alkalinity is going the faster my calcium is dropping.
I’ve used and tested IO, always got above 11dkh, it would average 11.5.

I would check your salinity first and testing methods as they are more likely reasons for your alk and calcium being low, than your tank using excess amounts of both of the elements.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used and tested IO, always got above 11dkh, it would average 11.5.

I would check your salinity first and testing methods as they are more likely reasons for your alk and calcium being low, than your tank using excess amounts of both of the elements.
Gotcha, will do. Thanks!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank volume (approx): 44g
Stock: low/medium bioload of Softies and LPS
Salt mix: IO original

The only additives I’ve ever used was Tropic Marin. My parameters were where I wanted them when I began dosing AFR. I’ve been doing the initial dose daily and checking parameters daily for a few weeks now.

My alkalinity was originally in the mid 8s, each day it’s been slowly creeping up, and we are now at 9.1 today. Calcium was originally in the upper 300s and today we are at 322.

IMG_0615.jpeg

According to this, if my Alk is rising and Ca is dropping, decrease ARF and dose Ca. I‘be lowered my AFR dose to 4mL daily. I had trouble finding the dosage for calcium, but I believe it’s 30mL/10G. That seems like a lot considering for my tank it’s about 130 ML‘s and the bottle is only 1000mL. Am I going to have to continue dosing calcium daily or am I going to reach a point where it balances out and I can just dose AFR? After all, that’s why I started with them because I just wanted the one additive.

Basically, can someone confirm the calcium dosing (liquid version) and let me know if I’m taking the appropriate steps?
The solution is quite simple.

You don't need to dose the premixed calcium.

Find a source of Calcium Chloride - in a pinch you could use Aquaforest Calcium - although I just use cheesemaking Calcium Chloride - it's all the same chemically.

Use the reef chemistry calculator to find out the dose which is 1 gram per 10 gallons to raise 10ppm and your problem is solved, and cheap too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back