Help with two Maroon clowns please

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased two Maroon Clownfish. I have kept a pair before and the last pair I even bought at different times. These I purchased today. Two. They are in a 120. Lots of rock. But they are going at it. They are very close in size which might have been a mistake. Maybe I should have made sure one was much smaller. Is this fighting likely to stop or is it possible one will kill the other. I did't have this problem last time. I read they sometimes fight to establish who is the female. I just don't want one to kill the other.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Same size might be a bad issue. I did have them at opposite ends. Seeing each other but not fighting. For maybe 10 -15 minutes. Then they got back into it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Same size might be a bad issue. I did have them at opposite ends. Seeing each other but not fighting. For maybe 10 -15 minutes. Then they got back into it.
Then it will prolly be to the death... May need to get a acclimation box before its too late or return one to LFS.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree separate asap , can try acclimation box ,but best to try to get a smaller one.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them separate and then read a thread about being harder to put one in thats been out. Slipped one in with lights out thought they would sleep. Looked in sometime later with flashlight they were fighting. Put all tank lights on they stopped. They are both beaten up. But haven't fought again. They were in the same cave for a few minutes and not fighting. Have my moonlights on and staying up watching them. Next fight one comes out. That didn't last. Took one back out. No more fighting. Until they heal they will be separated.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separating them from each other in different tanks will only grow them both up more and introduction after will be harder. May have to try to keep one and trade the other for a baby in a few months.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was about 5 years old close to 4" when I added a smaller one about 1.5". Worked perfectly no issues. The smaller one went in first and the larger second. I think mine may have turned female after changing coloring to less orange and almost black and the white bands became more yellow. I'd keep one a few years and get a much smaller one later.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one if them in a 120. They hurt each other pretty bad. Well it looks bad and its definitely not good. I have a pair of skunk clowns and two anemones in the 90 gallon. I have seen videos of Maroons living with skunk and in the store he was in a tank with all skunks. So the other Maroon is in the 90 with the Skunk pair. I tried keeping him in a 10 gallon alone but I don't like small aquariums for long term. So he has not bothered the Skunks except to briefly chase them. He chases every one. He even charges the Trigger fish. But they don't move. But no agression other than letting them know no to mess with her. They did have a brief getalong in the 120 (the two clowns) where they stopped fighting. I could try a nem in the 120. Then one Clown might only guard the Nem area. But their fins are torn up and no use trying again. For now I have two just in different aquariums. They are eating and no fighting.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: They are doing well. One is in my 90. She has never bothered the skunk clowns in there. The other in my 120. Both are eating and recovering.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back