Help with wishlist items for a 9 gallon eheim reef, possibly overkill?

OP
OP
Bryce Mazloum

Bryce Mazloum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is a product by Seachem that conditions the water. It is a chlorine remover but, more than that, it’s just a good conditioner. I occasionally put it in my RO water if I’m doing a big water change.

The Tunze is easy. Put the wires on (easy instructions), drop the pump into your top off bucket, put the sensor in at the level you want to maintain and plug it in. The sensor is easy to set and the pump fits through the mouth of a small bucket. I used the Tunze nano ATO on my 60 cube... worked well even in such a big tank.

Ahhhh gotcha, good to know! And seriously thank you for all the help. I'm going to try to get that skimmer and I'll see how it benefits the tank, and I'll be getting that ATO soon.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait? You don't have an RODI unit? I would start there. I think I got mine off amazon for $75.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah!! This would be my tier list for you.

1. RODI unit
2. ATO
3. Controllable Wave maker
4. Test kits

Hope this helps.

Seriously though Look at the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. It will take up the least amount of space in your tank.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquamedic power head is nice, that's what I have. It's doesn't have a fancy controller, but it has a dial that I can set frequency, and some buttons for changing intensity, feed, night modes, etc.

When I first set up my tank, a 25gal AIO, I had no ATO..then I realized that during the course of a day, i was evaporating 7 cups of water per day give or take, and bought the Tunze ATO shortly after and it makes life soooooo much easier- I can comfortably leave my apartment for 10 days with a 5gal bucket of RODI water. I don't know how much money you're spending on water right now, but I think with 1ish years to go before college, an rodi unit might save you money during that time..and hopefully you can hook it up at college, if you're going away.

As far as the test goes, I use the Red Sea for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium, and the Salifert for Nitrates. I also have a Alk Hannah checker for my sanity- but I probably wouldn't get one based off what I know so far about your tank and corals you're keeping.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the first begin I recommend a thermometer and a refractometer to check the salinity. After that the top off unit and after that the RO DI.
It is a small tank so it is possible to carry exchange water home. Thats why the ATO comes first. After that the skimmer and then the tests.
I would by Salifert tests. They are very good just as Red Sea but much cheaper. I use kH every week, Ca, Mg and NO3 every 20 days and Hanna for PO4 also about 20 days.
More seldom I use Salifert Potassium and Boron. NO2 is in my opnion only for new or very high loaded tanks. Ammonia only for new tanks and quarantine.
But as You are new in reefing and having a small tank You should test more often, at least in the beginning.

Enesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the test kits and ATO. I use one of these as my reservoir for my 90 gallon so you could definitely continue using it when you upgrade and it's easy to take with you to the LFS. A RODI would also be great. Side note, make sure you know exactly what the dorm rules are for keeping tanks, at my undergrad, nothing over 10 gallons was allowed and you were allowed only 1.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15648/Jugs/Carboy-2-1-2-Gallon

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion after having 7 reef tanks and learning from the bottom and spending way too much money on unnecessary equipment. A fuge that small is a waste of money in which you won't see much benefit save your money. An ATO is a must, I'm not familiar with the one you posted as all I use us Tunze ATO. Save your money on the wave pump your Koralia is fine for your 9 gallon when you upgrade to a bigger tank then get better wave makers. HOB skimmer is nice upgrade. I personally only use the Hanna Alk tester I think the rest of then are just Blah... I use Salifert for Cal and Mag Red Sea for Phosphate and Nitrate. Just my humble opinion

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back