Jebao scp70 for 36" shallow is it overkill?

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, would like to get some opinion on this.
My tank is 36inches long shallow tank.
I already got an jebao slw20, which could generate max of 10,000lph of flow, currently I'm running it with C mode,while my return pump was 2000lph. I want to get another wavemaker for the other end. I checked scp70 was rated to be max of 7000lph, is it enough to cover the flow at least to half of the tank, while my slw20 is blowing on the other side?
OR
I should get a scp90 and tune it down?

1000067208.jpg

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 100.3. 35 x 25 x22 i believe. I have two scp 90s. The sps on top love them but the torches and gonis on the bottom not so much. They run in master-slave mode on 1. Never higher. I have a timer that turns them off at night. They are very powerful. I would say they might be strong for a shallow tank. I did buy an ow3 for my nano at work and it is surprisingly strong. Might be a better route.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 100.3. 35 x 25 x22 i believe. I have two scp 90s. The sps on top love them but the torches and gonis on the bottom not so much. They run in master-slave mode on 1. Never higher. I have a timer that turns them off at night. They are very powerful. I would say they might be strong for a shallow tank. I did buy an ow3 for my nano at work and it is surprisingly strong. Might be a better route.

In your opinion, is it better to have a single head for shallow tank, instead of a gyre/crossflow?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion, is it better to have a single head for shallow tank, instead of a gyre/crossflow?
While I can't speak on a straight up shallow tank, as I have a 40GB, I recently purchased a Reefwave 25....I was told it's one of the best gyres you can get, perfect for a 40GB tank...well...consider me unimpressed.

My goal was to have it on back glass and eliminate other wave makers, which i did...but even at 100% the flow is not very strong....I previously had 2 Sicce Nanos on back glass and 2 Aqua ZKSJ slimpros on opposite sides of tank, it was a tad bit overkill, but all corals were happy and flowing.....

Added the Reefwave and removed all other wave makers, and it was kind of a dud ...especially for $320.

So now I'm playing with flow almost every other night, trying to configure, as I have added back the 2 aqua zksj slimpros, then now I am ultimately only running 1 of them plus the reef wave, trying to dial in my flow.

Sadly, I'll probably end up getting 1 more Reef wave 25, so I will have enough flow and a clean glass situation not covered with powerheads.

But I plan to buy it used or discounted or something.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the scp 70 for my 21.7 cube and had to return it unfortunately. Even on the lowest setting it was creating too much flow. I would think it would be better on yours. Sit it just below the surface and it will amaze you. I think the one scp70 would be enough so the return flow from the far wall would not be too strong for low flow corals at the bottom. Use your return pump flow to help stir up the directions. That thing moves water like crazy and is super quiet. Wish it would have worked in my application.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. But my tank height is only 13", I'm kind of afraid it might cause a turbulence.
I read some of the user experiences on gyre pump, seems like it require more attention and maintenance.
Which I don't really want to trouble myself with. I think I may just using a normal powerhead.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. But my tank height is only 13", I'm kind of afraid it might cause a turbulence.
I read some of the user experiences on gyre pump, seems like it require more attention and maintenance.
Which I don't really want to trouble myself with. I think I may just using a normal powerhead.
Yup 13 inches is def not enough room for that thing. Getting ready to try the SOW8 myself now. We shall see.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the coral you have. I have a high rock ledge with acros and some other sps. They need some real current to flourish and i saw an impact in a few days with pe. I was also having settlement on rocks. Now there is none. I can say that nero3s weren’t strong enough. Nero5s probably. I like the natural back and forth with 2 pumps at 30 seconds each way. Keeps things in suspension enough to get to the overflow. I would crossflow with something wider to reduce the current on the bottom of the tank.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to add, and not to ask a stupid question, but why do you want to add more flow? If everything is happy, I wouldn't.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to add, and not to ask a stupid question, but why do you want to add more flow? If everything is happy, I wouldn't.

Actually I got an extra wavemaker, but it unable to control speed only with constant flow & it's bulky.
At the other end of my tank is extremely low flow, hair algae is building up there, also I got some sps in my tank, that's why I needed another wavemaker to help out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back