Help with wrasse

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite wrasse and yellow clown goby in QT: 10g tank, heater, pvc, ammonia badge, air pump two stones. Doing TTM, started last Monday, transfer Wed, and Third tank transfer yesterday.
Exquisite wrasse has been doing fine, swimming eating pellets, until today.

Have noticed today the wrasse at the top of the water, or hiding but would eat. Water hazy today, though ammonia badge read zero, went ahead and did partial water change and added prazipro since he forgot yesterday.
Now the wrasse appears pale, heavy breathing, hiding and at times on its side.
Clown goby seems fine.

7cd50b8678ead3b8c0a2bd317b31df98.jpg

5dbc6f0de9a45ba2205c716833605a4b.jpg

Only thing open here is wally world which I can see what they have, but ican try lfs tomorrow for meds.

What do I treat for/with?

I can probably get a rx for CP, I work at the vet, but unsure with the wrasse what the best treatment would be.

yarddoctor123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they're breathing heavily like that they're trying to expel more ammonia from their gills. A quick freshwater dip@ 5 min might give him some temporary relief. what's the salinity in your QT?

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.025, which is the salinity they both came from at the LFS, checked with refractometer, recently calibrated.
I am more concerned about disease. They got a 100% water change yesterday (TTM), and a partial today. Ammonia shouldn't be an issue, and the ammonia alert reads 0

yarddoctor123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia becomes an issue amazingly quickly in QT. Badges are not as sensitive as a compromised fish. You mentioned cloudy water. A bacterial bloom can also suck 02 and spike CO2. Diluting a couple points could mean the difference between life and death until tomorrow.
[emoji57]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great luck with ammonia badges for dozens of fish.

Fairy wrasse easily stress. Collect excess food that's uneaten after 30 mins as this will increase ammonia quickly

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to be having trouble breathing. Ammonia is my first thought as well. Lost of water changes! Feed, then do a water change while sucking out all uneaten food.

Just out of curiosity... what diseases are you worried about? Has he displayed other symptoms besides the ones listed above?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind too much water removed at once can cause extreme stress.Make certain the temperature and salinity (even pH) of the new water is identical to the aquarium.Also is it possible the wrasse is being harassed by one of it's tank mates? I know clown gobies are small but they can pack a punch. One more thing you can try is offering some frozen foods.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind too much water removed at once can cause extreme stress.Make certain the temperature and salinity (even pH) of the new water is identical to the aquarium.Also is it possible the wrasse is being harassed by one of it's tank mates? I know clown gobies are small but they can pack a punch. One more thing you can try is offering some frozen foods.
While true, I've kept 10 tangs, 4 Angels, 2 wrasse and 4 other fish in a 55 qt uncycled before changing 80% water daily without any issues. Many of these fish were very fragile including a regal angel, Achilles tang, male bipartus leopard wrasse, copperband butterfly, and others.

(These fish were all pretty small, tangs were 2-4")

Excessive water changes are far less likely to kill than ammonia. All of those fish made it out if qt to TTM by the way. Had them in there for 2.5 months (ran DT fallow). Did this twice due to a mishap during TTM and reinfection

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to be having trouble breathing. Ammonia is my first thought as well. Lost of water changes! Feed, then do a water change while sucking out all uneaten food.

Just out of curiosity... what diseases are you worried about? Has he displayed other symptoms besides the ones listed above?

The wrasse has been fine in general, the clown goby in QT with him (who is still acting fine) had a few white spots. Looked like Ich to me, so started TTM last Monday on them both. So, I was concerned I misidentified Ich, and maybe it was Velvet or something.

I mix the fresh saltwater at least overnight, I match the QT and new water exactly on SG and temp never more than half a degree difference on digital thermometer. I don't know how much more extreme a water change can get than TTM... but this is third transfer. Did a 80% change today for good measure.

The wrasse actual bothers the clown goby more, no chasing or aggression the goby just avoids the wrasse. The wrasse would swim into the area the goby was in and the goby would vacate the area. The clown goby is picky and skinny, I think he was eating pods off a sponge from my DT before TTM started. Since removing the sponge, I have tried Rod's food Original, fish eggs, PE mysis, Some "nano cube" mysis (most succesful, but he still spits it out half the time), "omega" brine shrimp and pellets, I think I have Formula One mini pellets. This has all been over the course of the last week, and I put like six of the "off brand" mysis in at a time, suction whats left. Any of the frozen cubes, I break into pieces and give less than a pencil eraser size chunk at a time. I do get more aggressive with the food immediately before transferring tanks, and that had been going fine. The wrasse would eat pellets and the same mysis the goby liked.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was velvet they'd both be dead by now if you saw the spots last Monday. Is the wrasse still on his side having trouble breathing? It sounds like he's out swimming a good amount of the time and is still eating so that's good.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was velvet they'd both be dead by now if you saw the spots last Monday. Is the wrasse still on his side having trouble breathing? It sounds like he's out swimming a good amount of the time and is still eating so that's good.
Yeah I kinda blurred my description with talking about both fish. The wrasse quit eating yesterday and was lateral, heavy breathing when I got home. He had not made his mucous cocoon overnight. He's not moving around, but he is sitting up some now, but I am not really hopeful at this point. I will keep plugging away though.
After today's water change, I discovered my Rodi TDS is at 1ppm, so I dosed prime to the tank since I have no idea what was in that 1ppm. I know my city uses chloramine, so I checked my ro water for chlorine and ammonia but both were 0.
I went and picked up a new filter set from Melev, will be installing tonight to make more water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After today's water change, I discovered my Rodi TDS is at 1ppm, so I dosed prime to the tank since I have no idea what was in that 1ppm. I know my city uses chloramine, so I checked my ro water for chlorine and ammonia but both were 0.

Did you dose Prime while Prazipro was in the water? I've never personally had a problem mixing the two, but I know people who have.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose Prime while Prazipro was in the water? I've never personally had a problem mixing the two, but I know people who have.
No, I did the prime today after a 80% water change

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily I've had wrasse live months with velvet and some show no symptoms at all!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily I've had wrasse live months with velvet and some show no symptoms at all!

I guess if anybody is going to live for months with velvet a wrasse would. good point.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if anybody is going to live for months with velvet a wrasse would. good point.

Particularly those that sleep under the sand or in slime cocoons at night, seem to be virtually unaffected by many parasites while Angels tangs and other fish drop dead.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back