OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on bring salinity down, wrasse seems improved. Respiratory rate is still elevated but not a severe as it has been.
Has eaten a few pellets today, will swim around the bottom a little when I feed, but still pretty inactive overall. He is spending more time vertical though.
So, definitely not a well fish but marked improvement since Tuesday.
Tank transfer planned tonight, hopefully it will not stress him too much.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! As long as he keeps moving in the right direction, it's a good thing. :D

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issues with mine. I had prime in the qt tank since day 1 no issues. Then I add prazipro as a just in case and the next day I thought the fish was dying same symptoms as yours. I did a huge water change but still not much of an improvement. I decided after 1.5 weeks in qt to put it in my dt tank. The next morning the fish was swimming around loving life. I think the prazipro and or prime was to much.
uploadfromtaptalk1446156048013.jpg

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issues with mine. I had prime in the qt tank since day 1 no issues. Then I add prazipro as a just in case and the next day I thought the fish was dying same symptoms as yours. I did a huge water change but still not much of an improvement. I decided after 1.5 weeks in qt to put it in my dt tank. The next morning the fish was swimming around loving life. I think the prazipro and or prime was to much.
uploadfromtaptalk1446156048013.jpg

Yeah, I have read about the sensitivities in wrasse. I have a McCoskers that went through QT with 2 rounds prazipro, he was a bit stressed but did fine overall. He has been in my display a year or two now.

This exquisite wrasse, I think was probably compromised by the parasite and either was reaching a crisis point from that, or the prazipro put him over the edge. Tank transfer may have been a factor adding stress, but not once had he hid for longer than a few seconds after transfer.

I am glad you have had success with your wrasse.

I am of the mindset that if you can't survive QT, you can't go in my tank. So he will have to make it at least 6 weeks from next Sunday in QT. I do not want, nor do I have the space, to have to pull all my fish from the DT if I had a disease outbreak.

I have not yet had a fish die in quarantine.

@Humblefish, assuming this little guy makes it, would you recommend another round of prazipro at some point before transferring to the DT?

Obviously, once he has recovered and is eating well and fattened up a bit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, assuming this little guy makes it, would you recommend another round of prazipro at some point before transferring to the DT?

No, since Neobenedenia were the only flukes present when you did the FW dip, hypo for 5 days should take care of the problem.

I am starting to think that perhaps for wrasses doing a FW dip to check for flukes instead of prophylactically using Prazipro might be the lesser of two evils. If flukes show up during the FW dip, then you need to treat with Prazipro.

Keep in mind only capsalid monogeneans are treatable using hyposalinity. Ancyrocephalidae & Gyrodactylidae have to be treated with Prazipro (or formalin) because these can live in FW conditions. It's difficult to distinguish between them sometimes, so that's why most people just treat with Prazipro.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update :

Salinity is down, and will maintain it through next weekend to give plenty of time to kill parasite.

tank transfer method is done.

Wrasse is out swimming more, though still hides regularly.
Eating better, though not as healthy an appetite as I would prefer.
Breathing much more normally.
Color is greatly improved.

I put a small (disposable) rock in the QT from my sump to help with water quality so hopefully I can top off and suck out left over food, and not have to mess with it otherwise to give him some peace.

Also hoping the rock brought over some pods cause the clown goby is looking skinny he is finicky.

Thanks everyone for helping me sort through this and getting him this far.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back