Help Wrasse Not doing so great

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought this wrasse earlier today and once I got home and started to acclimate him. He didn’t move for a while came back 30 mins later and he was on his side but I was going to scoop it up and he started to move again. I left him and then put him into the take in a holder for right now to make sure he will be ok I have tried feeding him he wouldn’t eat so I don’t know what else to do heres a picture and a video.
ae46c9fdb4e5c81260c0da74e527fa4c.jpg

OP
OP
Matt F

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get the video in but he is like this then when I come close he starts swimming again

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R. Now, how long did you acclimate? What SG was the fish at before and now? How was it acting in the store? Wrasses can be fairly sensitive. I'd turn down the lights until tomorrow, and then not try feeding while it's in an enclosed space like that. Are you going to release it into a quarantine tank or a regular display tank? If a DT, what's in there now? Quarantining is always a good idea.

OP
OP
Matt F

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I acclimated him for around 1 hour give or take. What is SG? He was swimming around perfect at the store and it is going straight into the DT there is a joke gang around 3 inch 2 black clown fish and a long nose hawk fish

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, how did you acclimate and what is the salinity of the water it originally was kept and what salinity did you acclimate to?

I keep my tank at 1.026, but now QT my fish starting the salinity at 1.020 as that is where most fish stores keep it at.

OP
OP
Matt F

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged my lfs and he said that I should take it out of the basket I had it in the DT so I did and now it is just laying down on some rocks

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I acclimated him for around 1 hour give or take. What is SG? He was swimming around perfect at the store and it is going straight into the DT there is a joke gang around 3 inch 2 black clown fish and a long nose hawk fish

SG is specific gravity, typically around 1.025, or a bit lower for fish-only systems. An hour is a reasonable acclimation time if the SG change wasn't too great between the store and your tank.

The fish looks ok there. Is it breathing hard? If not, and if the other fish don't hassle it and it doesn't contract a disease, it may do ok. :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher Wrasses can be delicate shippers. As mentioned it would help if we knew the difference in salinity between your tank and your LFS'. It may also have disease, without QT it's hard to know what it has.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the LFS keeps there salinity at
Yea I would call them and ask? This is from my personal experience from yrs ago, always check the salinity of the new fish right when you get them home. I personally only buy fish from LFS who keep salinity at 1.025.....but of your LFS is low it will affect how you acclimate the fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is important, as mentioned. Wrasse don’t ship well and they stress easily. Once established they can be very hardy but that first few weeks can be tough.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses can be drama queens. If I were you I would double check my salinity, temp and ammonia one last time. If all are appropriate (meaning 1.025-6 SG, temp 78-80, and 0 ammonia) , shut off the light, walk out of the room, and don't look again until tomorrow morning at the earliest. Everything else you do tonight will stress him more.

If leaving the room isn't possible (like he's in your living room) you could try shading the tank with a towel. Just make sure your air circulation is still ok. Don't be upset if he hides and doesn't eat for a couple days.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only buy fish from LFS who keep salinity at 1.025.....but of your LFS is low it will affect how you acclimate the fish.

That would exclude just about every LFS I’ve ever bought from LOL

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back