Help !! Wrong tank stand ?!

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 36x18 stand for my acrylic 40g breeder but I found out they did not specify the stand was for acrylic .

Can someone tell me if this stand should have special features for acrylic versus a glass tank? I am under the assumption the stands are different since acrylic I believe requires bracing In other words, is tank stand for a glass tank different than tank stand for an acrylic tank?

My acrylic tank was made by Advanced Acrylic and it has half inch thick acrylic panels
I am concerned because another LFS is telling me the stand for an acrylic tank stand is slightly smaller in surface area than a comparable glass tank stand , and they are telling me also an acrylic tank stand needs to be braced in the middle to prevent bowing of the tank.

Any info appreciated

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the tank sits entirely on top and stand top itself is flat with no large openings then there will be no issues.
Depending on the stand manufacturer the 36x18 may end up as 36.5x18.5 to accomodate a trim if made generally for tanks of that size since most glass tanks have them but the extra 1/2" is of no consequence to an acrylic aquarium.

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John at Advanced Acrylic is saying my stand is fine with current tank stand as it is , without the 3/4 inch thick brace. Still just wondering why the guys at fish tanks direct would tell me acrylic stands they sell by R&J need this brace ?!

here is a few photos of my stand

1637282654986.jpeg

1637282578776.jpeg

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically that brace is to help prevent the stand from twisting as far as I know, not really prevent the tank from bowing since thats what the top bracing + thickness of the acrylic is for + being on a fully flat and level surface to distribute pressure evenly.

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically that brace is to help prevent the stand from twisting as far as I know, not really prevent the tank from bowing since thats what the top bracing + thickness of the acrylic is for + being on a fully flat and level surface to distribute pressure evenly.
Appreciate all your input . I think the stand is going to be ok after all. The guy that made it has assured me the stand is fine as well. So look for my build thread in the coming weeks !

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back