Help

radkison

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Location
biloxi ms
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brown tang suddenly died today without warning and now I see a dust like film on some of the other fish. I’ve set up my hospital tank and have copper treatment


Royal gamma
Tri color blenny
2 clowns
Dwarf Angel all seem to have this


Tips?
 
I think it would help if you could post some clear pics or a short YouTube video, using the whitest lights you have, turning down all blues for clarity.
 
My brown tang suddenly died today without warning and now I see a dust like film on some of the other fish. I’ve set up my hospital tank and have copper treatment


Royal gamma
Tri color blenny
2 clowns
Dwarf Angel all seem to have this


Tips?
While posting video, use bright white light intensity and no blue, and dust appearance suggests Velvet- given its name. If velvet, you will want to set up a quarantine tank for treatment and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. All other fish in with it should also be removed as they have also been exposed to the parasites and placed in quarantine tank.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
 
My brown tang suddenly died today without warning and now I see a dust like film on some of the other fish. I’ve set up my hospital tank and have copper treatment


Royal gamma
Tri color blenny
2 clowns
Dwarf Angel all seem to have this


Tips?
While posting video, use bright white light intensity and no blue, and dust appearance suggests Velvet- given its name. If velvet, you will want to set up a quarantine tank for treatment and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. All other fish in with it should also be removed as they have also been exposed to the parasites and placed in quarantine tank.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
 
I’ve tried posting a video. Not sure if you can see it. Hard to tell but I could see the specs clearly under blue light
 
Specs I see are secondary bacterial lesions often associated with Brook and treatable with Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe with coral and inverts
 
I moved all the fish to a qt tank and the royal gamma is not doing well. I did a dose of coppersafe
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new