Help

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish and a bangai cardinal in a 20g and it seems the clownfish have been nipping at the cardinals fins and chasing it around

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish and a bangai cardinal in a 20g and it seems the clownfish have been nipping at the cardinals fins and chasing it around
Clowns can be quite aggressive -- in a 20 gal this is not unheard of -- not much room. What kind of clowns?

This could work perfectly fine for someone else-- luck of the draw!

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals also do better in groups of three - this may help as well

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_Some_ cardinals do well in groups of three or more ... Banggais aren't one of those cardinals. Single or male/female bonded pair, as adults - or there's going to be trouble.

~Bruce
Thats odd - again everyone has a different opinion, I was told by LFS cardinals needed to be in groups otherwise their won't survive alone? Interesting how everyone seems to have different opinion regarding reefing topics

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinals, ochre-striped cardinals, blue-eyed cardinals - yeah, go for the group.

Banggais ... not so much. As youngsters, they'll shoal up, but as adults, they're very intolerant of same-gendered banggais.

~Bruce

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats odd - again everyone has a different opinion, I was told by LFS cardinals needed to be in groups otherwise their won't survive alone? Interesting how everyone seems to have different opinion regarding reefing topics

Not really you have hobbyist that have first hand long term experience and a LFS that would love to sell more fish. Clowns are aggressive and Cardinals are more cryptic, granted they can be aggressive, but it's not true that you can not keep a single Cardinal fish.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really you have hobbyist that have first hand long term experience and a LFS that would love to sell more fish. Clowns are aggressive and Cardinals are more cryptic, granted they can be aggressive, but it's not true that you can not keep a single Cardinal fish.
Thank you!!! Good to know!!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS already did you wrong from a previous post and fish you don't want. Take a reefers word with experience over the store. We kept a banghai cardinal singly for years just fine and he got pretty big too, lol. Clownfish definitely wore the pants in the tank relationship.

OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS already did you wrong from a previous post and fish you don't want. Take a reefers word with experience over the store. We kept a banghai cardinal singly for years just fine and he got pretty big too, lol. Clownfish definitely wore the pants in the tank relationship.
Yeah got quite big in my 20 gallon and he was alone but i was told clowns would just stick to one spot and shouldnt bother so it was good for a while no fights no anything until andew days ago i heard splashing and saw a clown chasing my cardinal and some fin missing from its tail

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everybody's opinions. I have 2 Banggais and one of them definitely controls the other one. It does not hurt it but the other one stays in the rocks most of the time. When it is feeding time both feed well and do not fight at all, but then the timid one goes back into the rocks. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has 6 total fish and all seem to get along well together. I would definitely not buy more than one again unless they are mated.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everybody's opinions. I have 2 Banggais and one of them definitely controls the other one. It does not hurt it but the other one stays in the rocks most of the time. When it is feeding time both feed well and do not fight at all, but then the timid one goes back into the rocks. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has 6 total fish and all seem to get along well together. I would definitely not buy more than one again unless they are mated.
They could have mated, but then the one in the rock wouldn't be eating since they are mouth breeders. But just so you know in case it happens. I even had a baby survive until it got in my sump and couldn't get it out.

I've also had 3 once and after 2 of them bonded, then the third one was beat up.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could have mated, but then the one in the rock wouldn't be eating since they are mouth breeders. But just so you know in case it happens. I even had a baby survive until it got in my sump and couldn't get it out.

I've also had 3 once and after 2 of them bonded, then the third one was beat up.
If they did spawn, while the male is holding he won't eat, but he wouldn't be hiding in the rocks. Rather, he would be out with the female.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back