OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its that you have zero, there is no free ammonia. If you put away the test kit, the tank continues running. no reaction needed you are done cycling. the tests misread, that's all that is occurring. your tests are accurate when a fish dies and rots in the tank and they spike out to 7 ppm along with that cloudy water signal.

a signal always always accompanies free ammonia, and you can see, smell, or touch that signal without any test kit. this is how we audit posted ammonia readings. the tests are almost never right when dealing with low level sustained readings. Ive never seen one confirmed right in 2o yrs of online reefing.

True free ammonia is a tank killer, within about 3 hours the fish are dead and the water is opaque and skunky in a few more hours. it cannot go days with free ammonia
Ok thanks for the follow up. I’ve got another question then. I’ve got some Algea on rocks. It’s not like hair algea but is green but is almost impossible to ge off the rock and a few clumps in the sand bed. How do I get rid of this problem. I’m a noob and I know it’s something that I done or haven’t I’m just trying to remove the cause and have the knowledge to keep it away
Ok thanks for the follow up. I’ve got another question then. I’ve got some Algea on rocks. It’s not like hair algea but is green but is almost impossible to ge off the rock and a few clumps in the sand bed. How do I get rid of this problem. I’m a noob and I know it’s something that I done or haven’t I’m just trying to remove the cause and have the knowledge to keep it away

image.jpg image.jpg
I run filter floss in chamber one and purigen, carbon and marine pure balls

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey you did good acting early on the algae, we should kill it, restoring a no algae fine looking rock.

the alternative is a complete take over taking months to undo.

lift out the rock

take a kitchen knife and scrape it off roughly like a dentist scrapes plaque and we bleed a bit heh

scrape the algae off the rocks, avoiding other non target areas, this is why we use a knife and not some random dip. we are on-target gardeners in the bulletproof nano reef. there are less bulletproof ways to reef admittedly...but none will beat this cheat method that's a fact :)

after you have cheat scraped all the algae off the rocks and rinsed the areas in saltwater, dab peroxide from a bottle on the cleaned spot.

rinse it off again, saltwater only, and set the rock back.

that's how you cure rock from algae so that it doesn't take over. its not about messing with the water and then waiting to see what happens.

we do your sand later, work this one lets see outcome

there are 57 different ways to handle algae, this is the one I use because I can tell you when it will be fixed, how it will look after, and without fail that it will not have algae after that cleaning round. how fast it grows back ranges tank to tank. we're concerned with taking back current ground. growback planning is for the clean condition.

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey you did good acting early on the algae, we should kill it, restoring a no algae fine looking rock.

the alternative is a complete take over taking months to undo.

lift out the rock

take a kitchen knife and scrape it off roughly like a dentist scrapes plaque and we bleed a bit heh

scrape the algae off the rocks, avoiding other non target areas, this is why we use a knife and not some random dip. we are on-target gardeners in the bulletproof nano reef. there are less bulletproof ways to reef admittedly...but none will beat this cheat method that's a fact :)

after you have cheat scraped all the algae off the rocks and rinsed the areas in saltwater, dab peroxide from a bottle on the cleaned spot.

rinse it off again, saltwater only, and set the rock back.

that's how you cure rock from algae so that it doesn't take over. its not about messing with the water and then waiting to see what happens.

we do your sand later, work this one lets see outcome

there are 57 different ways to handle algae, this is the one I use because I can tell you when it will be fixed, how it will look after, and without fail that it will not have algae after that cleaning round. how fast it grows back ranges tank to tank. we're concerned with taking back current ground. growback planning is for the clean condition.
Awesome thanks! I’m currently turkey basting the sand in spots till I completely hit entire sand bed

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delete as clearly has been addressed already..

You’re in good hands with Brandon he knows what he’s talking about 100%

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delete as clearly has been addressed already..

You’re in good hands with Brandon he knows what he’s talking about 100%
I posted all my parameters from since I started the tank in the first page

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your notes say salinity at 1.021 while you posted that you keep it 1.024-1.025. Which is it? Did you increase it recently?

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your notes say salinity at 1.021 while you posted that you keep it 1.024-1.025. Which is it? Did you increase it recently?
When I first started I first started I kept it lower but I’ve been ramping it up over time to 1.025 as I’m trying to get ready to get my first coral. Right now it’s only a Fowlr

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the next page of parameters? It'd be more helpful to see more recent measurements. How quickly did you ramp up salinity? Is this when your clowns starting having issues?

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the next page of parameters? It'd be more helpful to see more recent measurements. How quickly did you ramp up salinity? Is this when your clowns starting having issues?

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although not the easiest to do, a video of their behavior would be helpful.
Could be brooklynella, ammonia, low salinity, high temp. . . Many things

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not the easiest to do, a video of their behavior would be helpful.
Could be brooklynella, ammonia, low salinity, high temp. . . Many things
Well one clown didn’t make it and the other seems to be doing fine. I think I made a rookie mistake and tried too much too fast to help him. The other clown doesn’t breathe as rabid as he was. He mostly stays under the rock bridge and eats well.

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one clown didn’t make it and the other seems to be doing fine. I think I made a rookie mistake and tried too much too fast to help him. The other clown doesn’t breathe as rabid as he was. He mostly stays under the rock bridge and eats well.

Attachments

• 58752562502__828CF029-0409-405D-AAEC-EAF82DCD6699.MOV
    1.3 MB
OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do clowns usually breath a little harder than normal fish? Someone said earlier they’re prone to breath a little heavier.

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always take a sample of water to you local fish store and they can test to double check.
My only problem is I live about 45-1hr from a petco and that’s all I’ve got unless I drive about 2 plus hours

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used prime I will look into that. Like I said this is my first tank so I’m still learning a lot. I have a refractometer and keep levels 1.024-025
don't use prime unless you get an ammonia kit the measures the free and total ammonia. like the seachem ammonia multitest kit. then only treat for the free ammonia.

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just noticed string poop. So I might have figured out his problem. This is the second time he has had that. I used general cure to get rid of the parasites and seemed to do a good job. Any idea why this has happened again?

OP
OP
Pman12

Pman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just noticed string poop. So I might have figured out his problem. This is the second time he has had that. I used general cure to get rid of the parasites and seemed to do a good job. Any idea why this has happened again?
White stringy poop*

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back