swimming into powerhead

newReefer010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellowtail damsel and for the past week he has been swimming towards my powerhead all day and he has been doing this for about a week now. I have read it could be velvet, but he doesn't really show any signs of it besides rapid breathing. if it was velvet, wouldn't he be dead by now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a yellowtail damsel and for the past week he has been swimming towards my powerhead all day and he has been doing this for about a week now. I have read it could be velvet, but he doesn't really show any signs of it besides rapid breathing. if it was velvet, wouldn't he be dead by now.
It depends on the level of velvet, if velvet but could also be flukes. Can you provide a video under white light intensity of the fish?

OP
OP
newReefer010

newReefer010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anytime i try to record him he runs away. and I dosed the tank with ich-x just in case. it's kind of hard to see in te vid but the white spots on him have almost tripled in the past hour.

Attachments

• 20240123_173234.mp4
    58.5 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No not necessarily - not all fish die from velvet. Did you QT it - and if medications - which ones? It could be a 'habit' of the fish (doubt) or flukes..

EDIT - just saw @vetteguy53081 agree

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich-X is for freshwater, and it's not particularly good at that either.

Throw it away.
I agree, but the label says it’s also for marine.

I know the person who formulated this for Hikari(he also developed Prazipro). He should have known it is a poor formulation for marine fish. My guess is that Hikari just put, “…and marine” on the label to garner more sales (grin).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back