HELP!!!!

MissingMyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father was a fish keeper for over 40 years!
His tank is a saltwater marine tank with a beautiful selection of fish and living coral.
He started a frag tank to go beside this as a little retirement job and had been quite successful.
Sadly this dream came to an end when he collapsed and was hospitalised, where he was diagnose with terminal cancer and died just a few days ago, we are all devastated!

Please help me save his tank!

I helped him look after his tanks when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago.

My mum has been unable to do any maintenance for the past few weeks and has been getting a local shop to help her look after the tank but I am convinced it is crashing CRASHING HARD! I wish I had been here to help prevent this but I live 8hrs away.

It was his hobby and my poor mum knows very little other than how to feed the fish.

My dad did fortnightly water changes but I think the water hasn't been changed for about 7 weeks.

I did a 20% water change yesterday.

A lot of the corals look like they have died and I have just checked the levels to discover the ammonia level is 10.27ppb (o dear god!)

My dad has a reverse osmosis filter & salt so I am in the process of trying to do a water change to get that down.

The protein skimmer is filthy so I am cleaning this.

It is now 3am here Scotland so I cannot run to the nearest fish shop.

Please help what do I do to save the tank?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a good sized water change will definitely help. Check the salinity in the tank. It should be about 35ppt or 1.025 on a refractometer.
Getting the salinity in the new water very close to the salinity in the tank is key.
If the water hasn't been changed in a while, I would also expect they the salinity may be high as well. If it is indeed high, make the new water a bit lower as to get a bit of an average to 1.25.
Temperature is also important, but not the end of the world. Just don't add cold water to a warm tank. If necessary heat the new water before adding it to the tank.
Very sorry for your loss, and use this site to answer any and all questions.
Hopefully you can keep the reef going in memory of your father.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MissingMyDad I’m so sorry to hear about your father. I lost my Dad at the beginning of this year. Keep your memories close and always remember the good times.

If the ammonia is present you will want to work on water changes to get it back down to where the bacteria can handle it again. Try not to disturb too much of the sand in the process. Getting the skimmer cleaned and running again will help.
Is there a local fish store you can make it to in the morning that might sell bottled bacteria or ammonia reducer?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom in January ..I know it’s so hard. Prayers to you and your family ..
Do another big water change as everyone else has mentioned is the best thing right now to do and make sure salinity is right and temp is close to tank temp. Don’t know the setup . Perhaps post a picture for everyone to get eyes on the sump and setup ..

OP
OP
M

MissingMyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMAZING!!
Thank you so much everyone for the support, love & advice.
I did a few 20% water changes, added AMGAURD as an ammonia reducer and checked checked checked those levels.
the levels have not gone down yet but I suspect that this is a false positive due to the ammonia binder.
We haven't lost a single fish which is a miracle and the tank is starting to look a bit better although the coral looking sad

I contacted my dad's local aquarium shop in Dundee Scotland called "Discovery Aquatics" and they came out and saved the tank, sadly the secondry frag tank crashed but the main tank was saved! They remembered my dad and refused to take any payment for all the premixed saltwater or time they spent working on it. I will be putting up a Trip advisor review and using their wonderful shop forever.

Discovery aquatics was convinced that my dad's tank was so well established with a good stump, huge R.O auto top up, chaeto refugium etc... that this saved the tank.

So it looks like I have inherited his tank and will be keeping it going as a lasting memory of him.

My only knowledge is from my teenage days so I really appreciate this forum.

---

Can I use your hive mind to check that what I am doing is ok?

DAD'S TANK

Size: 450 litre (100 gallon)

Type: Saltwater marine with mixed coral, clams & fish

Fish Food: Living or frozen (small amount twice a day)

Coral Food: dried power (small amount every other day)

Water change fortnightly with R.O water and Red Sea pro coral salt
(48 litre with 1440g salt)

Deep clean of the tank gravel with a siphon monthly

Protein skimmer & sock cleaned out weekly
Sump deep cleaned monthly

NoPox = 4ml daily

Reef energy A & B = 8mls of each daily

Iodine = 4 drops daily

Does this sound ok ?

My dad had a seneye so I am in the process of getting a new slide for this.

The hope is that I can use the seneye to keep an eye on the tank remotely and then go visit the tank at my mum's house monthly (she lives 8hrs away)

I will try to upload some photos.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss.

That was great of the folks at Discovery Aquatics to jump in to the rescue.

As someone else mentioned, a few pictures of the tank and sump would help us help you.

Also, did the folks that helped you mention anything about alkalinity? I don't think you have mentioned it, and it is possible that the tank doesn't require close maintenance of it. Do you know what that is, and how to test for it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
sorry to hear of your loss. They say " The Memory Lives on " !! Lets get this tank going for you and make it good - He is watching from above.
As others mentioned, Begin with water change and filter cleaning.

OP
OP
M

MissingMyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you take the tank to your place. When something is out of sight, a lot of times it becomes out of mind. Also, sorry about your father. I'll be praying.

I wish I could but sadly this would be a nighmare to dismantle, transport & I dont have room for such a huge set up.
My husband and I are planning to move up to Scotland to be close to my mum in the next couple of years so it needs to stay in place until then.

OP
OP
M

MissingMyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss.

That was great of the folks at Discovery Aquatics to jump in to the rescue.

As someone else mentioned, a few pictures of the tank and sump would help us help you.

Also, did the folks that helped you mention anything about alkalinity? I don't think you have mentioned it, and it is possible that the tank doesn't require close maintenance of it. Do you know what that is, and how to test for it?

No I haven't checked this but i'm sure I can figure this out with one of my dad's test kits. If it is not in the correct range what should I do ?

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my dad when I was 25. It was probably the hardest death I delt with. I didnt live with him and we didnt get that much things to share like you did. But what I have of his I keep in very good condition. If that was his hobby keep it going and dont ever let that tank go neglected. Keep your head stong and keep his memories alive. God bless you and your family.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back