Help

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those levels of nutrients is fine.
But is the green taking up the phosphate resulting in an incorrect read, it’s like running a fuge in your sump.
See if you can remove any of that manually and maybe consider Vibrant.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At those nutrient levels I would expect a lot of things to grow, and from your pictures that is what it happening. Lots of things are growing. Some dinos as well.
It's a little bit complex but my advice / expectation would be that if you leave the nutrients where they are, pull gfo, put in UV, and suction the noticeable Brown dinos, then the dinos would disappear and be really hard to find any of them in a couple of weeks.

If I pull gfo wouldn’t my nutrients keep going up? Or do I do water changes but small?

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just a small overservation. But sense I changed gfo out Wednesday night, I think the green mat on the sand bed looks a little better

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo offline. Uv is hooked up and running in the DT with a maxi jet-1200 pump. (I ordered a way smaller maxi jet to decrease the flow). I am preparing some salt mix so I can siphon out stuff on sand bed tomorrow. I am also blowing rocks and corals off with a power head after lights out. Will probably do in the mornings also before work.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I pull gfo wouldn’t my nutrients keep going up? Or do I do water changes but small?
Small occasional water changes probably okay. If you don't have a fuge or a sump, you'll find that export is hard to do well.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small occasional water changes probably okay. If you don't have a fuge or a sump, you'll find that export is hard to do well.

I have a sump. It’s filled with live rock and just a skimmer.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update. Not a lot seems to have changed. The the only thing I have noticed is that my tank looks a little clearer and less film on glass. I have been blowing off corals at night. I also siphoned the sand bed yesterday so
I will see how it looks tonight when I get home.

My phosphates were getting high. So I turned on gfo again last night and will see how it helped tonight.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost my first big colony of a yellow tip acro.

I got the new Hanna checker and I did the dilution to test and it says my nitrates are 44.8. Not sure if this is correct but I will do another test in a couple hours.

I did try and look for dinos under a
Microscope and they were hard to find. This a good sign maybe? Although my sand looks like crap still

What you guys think? I have been running gfo for last 2 days cause phosphates are still .14

Should I do water changes for a week maybe 5-10% to bring nutrients down?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost my first big colony of a yellow tip acro.

I got the new Hanna checker and I did the dilution to test and it says my nitrates are 44.8. Not sure if this is correct but I will do another test in a couple hours.

I did try and look for dinos under a
Microscope and they were hard to find. This a good sign maybe? Although my sand looks like crap still

What you guys think? I have been running gfo for last 2 days cause phosphates are still .14

Should I do water changes for a week maybe 5-10% to bring nutrients down?
Use Phosphate Rx, I use it on my 75 gallon. I dose 2-3 drops every other day and keeps it under control 0.12-0.04, 5 gallon water change every week, I never used gfo, I have no fuge, run UV 24/7, skimmer runs maybe 12 hours a day at night some days not at all, I have a homemade sump with filter pad, carbon bag and biomedia under it all. My skimmer drains onto the filter pad, never worry about emptying the cup. I also dose alk 1 tsp a day of powder, split into 4 1/4 tsp doses every 6-8 hours. Have not had to dose cal or mag yet, everything is growing well, still have some algea but not bad. for the PhosRx you may need to dose differently, if you follow the directions like I did the phos will bottom out which is not what you want.
Phos 0.12-0.04
Nitrate 10-12
mag 1480
cal 447
alk 9.2

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back