HELP!

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a saltwater tank(20 gallons) yesterday. I waited until today to dose some bottled ammonia and bacteria to start the cycle. I waited about 2 hours and tested the ammonia today, to my surprise my ammonia is off the charts 6.1+ppm. Is this normal?
I have dry rock and live sand inside the tank.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
My kit showed very high as well when i started and I had the same issues but after a few days the micro bacteria started growing and ammonia dropped in no time. Your fine, just needs time as others have stated.
Ok then, ill just wait and test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate everyday to see my results. Thank you

Upvote 0

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I just wait until my ammonia drops or do I keep pouring some Nitrifying Bioculture everyday.
The instructions for your product;

To seed Biological Filtration in new aquaria

Add 30 ml (6 capfuls) of MicrōBacter Start XLM per 25 US-gallons (95 L) of aquarium water. Add one or more hardy fish. Remove filter socks, turn UV-sterilization and/or ozonation and/or protein skimmer off for the complete period of cycling until you are finished dosing this product. Test ammonia and nitrite levels daily or as needed, if either is above .2 ppm, then you can dose MicrōBacter Start XLM again at a lower dose of 10 ml per 25 US-gallons if desired. At 7 days or longer, Tank is cycled if, and only if, both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero and nitrate is well above zero. If either ammonia or nitrite levels are above zero, then the tank is not yet fully cycled and you should not add fish. if the nitrate is not above zero (at least .25 ppm), then tank is not yet fully cycled and you should not add fish.

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
ZomboMeme 14032021160200.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wait 24-48 hrs before testing. You are in essence testing for ammonia which present. You want to see drops in ammonia as you are performing tests.
What test kits are you using for testing as API notorious for false readings may be throwing your true number off also.
A typical one week activity with ammonia will go as listed below. there is a difference with using ammonia and ammonia chloride.
- dose ammonia to 2 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] using our ammonium chloride (1 drop per gallon [After Nov 2016 when using DrTim’s ammonium chloride use 4 drops per gallon]) [NOTE: do not expect your test kit to exactly read 2 ppm and it is not critical to get exactly 2 ppm. The key is to not add too much ammonia]. If using DrTim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying bacteria add it now (turn skimmer, UV and ozone off and remove filter socks for 48 hours)
- Day 2 – Measure ammonia and nitrite
- Day 3 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia: four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon (check the label)
- Days 4 & 5 – Measure ammonia and nitrite
- Day 6 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia. Four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon. [NOTE: since you have added the One & Only your ammonia kit will not read 2 ppm and DO NOT continue adding ammonia trying to get to 2 ppm – just add 2 ppm ammonia (4 drops per gallon of our ammonium chloride) and carry-on
- Days 7 & 8 – Measure ammonia and nitrite. On the first measurement day (Day 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8) that BOTH ammonia and nitrite are both below 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) your tank is close to being cycled.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have 2 clownfish, one skunk cleaner shrimp, some snails, and some LPS corals. Thats about it.
Welcome!

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear about your successes! As others have already said, patience ... give it time to do its biological things > ammonia > nitrites > nitrates

Upvote 0

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't worry. You're supposed to have ammonia during the cycle. Likely you dosed too much. I would retest first. If you feel the need to do a water change to bring the number down then so be it. Just don't add any fish while you still have ammonia.
Welcome to the club.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back